Hovering issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thought.. is this head down position only happening towards the end of the dive? AL80s are notoriously butt-light when they empty.

But I second above posts, try moving your bc stap so the tank sits lower on your back, or moving some weight from back to lower front pockets.

Play around with it, have fun and don't worry you will find exactly what works for you in no time. You are doing great so far!

It is hard to get a new diver setup correctly as its all so new, and everything seems to impact their trim. This is often from dive to dive even though they appear to be setup the same.

Are you diving your own equipment?

Are you in the same wetsuit each time?

If the answer is no to either of these question, then your setup changes each dive and that makes things more difficult.

If the answer is yes to both questions, maybe work with an instructor or even an experienced friend to help sort things out like weight placement and tank placement.

If you can not afford to buy then try and get the same equipment each time you rent. Also Back Inflate BC's IMO are much easier to trim out.

Your new, and learning fast. Things will get better, but instruction is rarely a bad idea.

When I was struggling with getting to a horizontal plane, the thing that put me head down quicker than anything else was pointing my fins up. I had this tendency to pull my ankles towards my rear end and point my fins up (not on purpose of course). In one of your pictures your fins look a little more vertical. I'd suggest trying to be conscious of your fin position - I would not be surprised if you have more control if you can keep your fins more horizontal.

Also it can help to keep your head back. I definitely heard that more one time in my training experiences!!!

Just a couple things to try. Have fun working on it!

Last edited:
Actually looking at your photos the one you think you have your head down is about perfect trim (#4). Ideally you should be horizontal. This takes time. My trim is not always perfect after close to a decade of diving.

The most powerful thing in achieving horizontal trim is posture. Head up, back flat, legs out behind you. You appear, although the pictures are hard to figure out, to have my bad habit -- bending the knees too much, and putting your heels in your buttocks. This is going to tend to encourage you to tilt head-down when you stop. Many people have a hard time feeling when their legs are straight -- if you are in fact like me, when you think you have your legs straight out behind you, they're probably stretched and mildly flexed at the knee. You may find this will help a great deal with your stability.

I think Jim Laplenta is spot on again. Gear distribution and type can have an impact, but negligible compared to the impact of proper weighting. I would avoid the ankle weights except as a last resort if you remain frustrated in dealing with the issue and spending some time trying to resolve it by other means. Also, when weighting properly, not only the amount but also the distribution of weight is important. If you are in a weight integrated BC, put a couple pounds in the back pockets rather than all in the release pockets. If you use a weight belt, arrange more weight to the rear that you have previously. You will be able to correct the issue by addressing these things in the water and trying alternatives until you arrive at the proper weight and the best configuration for you. If done in a pool, do wear you full exposure gear just as if on an open water dive.
Stay active. Dive often, and you will improve every aspect of diving, including total control in a hover at any depth.
DivemasterDennis

You can add 2 lbs trim weight to the butt end of your tank using a cam strap.
This is a trick used by sidemounters to counter act the light butt of a 1/2 empty aluminum tank.

Mike D

As Jim Lapenta, katepnatl and TSandM have already pointed out you are closer to good trim (in photo 4 and 5) than you think and you need to work primarily on posture.

- Firstly, you feel "head down" because you dropped you head. Pull your head up as far as it will go and then you can look forward while maintaining a horizontal body position.
- Secondly, the arms need to go forward.
- Thirdly, fin position. As Kate mentioned do not let the fin tips point skywards. Pull your toes towards your shins as far as they go (dorsiflexion) and then relax a little (!) bit. Initially, you want to have the fins a little more horizontal than in the following photo. Trace is a very experienced and skilled diver and uses the steeper fin angle deliberately. You should focus on keeping the fins more flat for now so that they do not end up pointing straight up.
Trace_PerfectTrim.jpg
Look at his body alignment, head and arm position and try to copy that.
Once you have the correct posture you can shift weight around like the other posters have suggested to fine tune the trim.

The posted pictures are a 3mil waterproof, with 14lbs in saltwater. I used 2 4lbs in the weight pockets up front, and 2 3lbs in the back pockets, which are higher up on the BCD. Yesterday I was trying to get properly weighted I was wearing a bare 4/5 mil with a 3 mil vest and hood and needed 14lbs to get down in the pool. As long as I'm moving, I can maintain buoyancy, it's when I stop and hover for safety stops that i have the problem, i release air from my BCD on the way up to compensate for expansion. It may be the air in the BCD, I haven't gotten used to getting it properly adjusted right away.

Assuming your back pockets are higher than the sides move some weight from the back to the side pockets.

Keep your head up

Proper trim is a skill to be learned, like riding a bicycle. You don't have very many dives yet. Keep practicing. Like learning to ride a bicycle, one day it will click and your trim problems will disappear.

Back
Top Bottom