Housing or Bomb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsafanda:
You might want to read this before investing in Pelican cases.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8141&st=0

The very reason I refuse to put my regs or cameras/housing/strobes in checked baggage. My LDS owner had $4000 worth of video stuff stolen somewhere between RDU and Bonaire in April. The airlines could care less, nothing out of their pockets. If they and the TSA were made (and should be) responsible for total replacement cost they would put a stop to this mess.

I just can't see how you guys fit all this stuff in carry on?

I have a pretty big camera bag with a DSLR 2 lenses and a mini DV. Then a second bag for my monsterous sized laptop (which just won't fit in the camera bag).

2 housings, video light, and strobes I just don't see fitting in a case or bag small enough to carry on.

And to make it even worse, I'm planning on making the move to CCR in the Spring.
I can't even see how I'm going to travel without paying extra charges, without even worrying about bringing all my gear with me as carry ons.

The big question with camera rigs and travel is not so much the housing as the strobes. If possible, always remove the batteries.

BTW on a trip back from Bonaire, TSA officials were very intrigued with one of my DS 125 strobes. They disassembled the strobe and left it that way! Fortunately Ike's crew rebuilt it for me.

Always have my housings in checked baggage. Nothing dissassembled yet, nor have I been interogated under bright lights.

Although I have been carrying my strobe batteries in my rollaboard lately, worried that they look like a dense block of wired together suspicious baddness. Just thinking preventatively.

Al the best, James

I've checked my camera housing in some cases, and carried it on in other cases. I tend to carry on the camera itself, as opposed to putting it in the housing, because I don't trust the baggage handlers to be gentle with my bag. Going to and from PNG, I had to carry the housing and camera on, because I would otherwise have exceeded the weight allowance for checked baggage. Even if you have a lock, its not proof against theft - TSA cut my lock open the last time I traveled, since I didn't have a TSA lock. If the baggage handlers are going to steal something, they'll be able to steal it, and I suspect you're only recourse would be insurance if they chose to.

I prefer to carry things on in a roller bag if possible, my Patima housing and Nikonos strobe barely fit the bill for that, and it makes for a fairly heavy carry-on. I'm more worried about rough handling than theft. On the other hand, I've accidentallyt dropped my aluminum housing from 5 feet up with the camera in the housing, and it didn't have an effect on the camera or the housing, its pretty solid. I also had a shuttle bus attendant toss my bag about 5' with my housing and camera in a bag, again with no effect. Not what I want to see on a regular basis, but at least its given me confidence in the toughness of my housing.

I hand carry my housing and I find that it is a wonderful conversation piece for meeting folks.

Back
Top Bottom