Hotspots in St. Maarten or nearby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

angel in the sky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey there...
My husband and I are looking forward to our trip with our friends in St. Maarten. The deal is he and I are divemasters in training and the rest of our group are all mostly newbies with less than 50 dives under their belts. Mostly we'll be diving just the two of us. But our friends also want to partake in some diving activity.
I have been trying to research some good spots, but thought this would be a good way to get some personal references. I want to take him to Saba island as I hear its a nice dive spot. Where else do you suggest. we're tight on our budget so we're looking for a dive operation that will give us some good deals for groups and such.
Any ideas and info would be greatly appreciated. We're due in St Martin at the end of July beginning of August and I'm psyched... If you have any other suggestions (things to do, shopping, cheap groceries and such.... ) don't hold back :D
Thanks for your help in advance!!

Hi,

comming from st. maarten i think i may have some reccomendations for you.

first the diving. many people dive with the big dive shops (dive safari, scubafun etc.), and if you like cattle boat diving with 30 people on the boat i would suggest them. for a more personal dive i would suggest island divers. they operate a small boat and take only four to six divers per trip. the smaller boat also goes fast so there is less of a risk of sea sickness etc. the company will also carry you to less dived spots or anywhere you would want to go (sharks, wrecks, nightdive etc.). the instructor and owner (jesus) will also reccomend the good places for lunch and a good place to have drinks. they are located in point blanche, left of chesterfields restaurant along the dock, youll see the boat at the green dock. thier number is +(599)5232724, and ask for jesus. on a side note, jesus is also president of an ocean conservation foundation, Ocean Care, that is centered on local coral conservation.

food and drink. the usual tourist restaurants which are not bad: chesterfields at the dive shop, greenhouse down the street; which also has a good happy hour. passangrahan restaurant on the boardwalk in greatbay and island vibes restaurant also on the boardwalk on greatbay (i would reccomend going to the boardwalk on friday night for a nice evening)

in simpson bay there is pineapple petes, lee's roadside grill, bambooo bernies (which does a great lady's night on wednesday evenings), and bliss (which is a great club in the weekends)

but if you are looking for good local places try ras bushman's ital shack on bush road who does great veg food ( im not veg but the stuff is good) and great fresh juice. the jerk (funny name good food) on bush road, the coal pot restaurant (opposite chesterfields) temptations for dinner if you want to splurge, and on the french side of the island i would definately go for the lolo's in grand case, local bbq joints that serve great local food and an excellent bbq. try the ti-punch but be carefull.

as for beaches, try mullet bay, friars bay (they do a good full moon party), baie rouge, and pinel island. if you do decide to go with jesus, ask him if he can carry you to flat island on a tour; a private beach, good snorkeling, quartz crystals, and natural mud baths.

im engaged to a saba girl so i can add my little 2 cents on that island as well. i would definately reccomend big mike and little mike at saba deep right on fort bay where u arrive on the ferry (if you do decide to take the ferry, i would take the dawn 2 which leaves from chesterfield dock (its a little community there) instead of the edge which leaves from pelican. the edge is quicker but the dawn is more local, and you can sunbathe on the deck, having said that dont forget the sea sick pills). request a dive at the eye of the needle, its one of the wierdest dives. also try twighlight zone and diamond rock.

saba is a quirky little place, i would defintaley take a hike up mount scenery, but would take other hikes as well, like the crispeen trial etc., have a bite to eat at swinging doors, queens garden (the lobster is top notch) and the gate house. and definatley go for the karaoke at scout's place on friday night. post dive have a lobster sandwhich at pops on fort bay.

that's it it. have fun on my island. i would like to add one little note though. in all honesty there have been some problems with crime lately so avoid walking around alone at night in dark places, keep your car doors locked, and stow away your valuables in a hotel safe. wouldn't want to hear any bad stories.

feel free to email me (tadziobervoets@yahoo.com) if you have any other questions.

cheers,

tadzio

comming from st. maarten i think i may have some reccomendations for you.

i would suggest island divers. they operate a small boat and take only four to six divers per trip. the smaller boat also goes fast so there is less of a risk of sea sickness etc. the company will also carry you to less dived spots or anywhere you would want to go (sharks, wrecks, nightdive etc.).
cheers,

tadzio

Thanks man. I'll be in your island in about a month (on a cruise, so one day only) and I will definitely give Jesus a call. We'll be a party of 3, so a 6-pack would be ideal.

Cheers,
Hector

Excellent... thanks Tadzio!!!!
We're going to be up on the french side in Orient bay... Definitely will get a hold of Jesus and start planning all of that. We've rented a house and will be making most meals ourselves... that way we can save some $$ for more diving... Are there places better than others...The trip there is costing us enough... and we want to make the most of our trip, so we're trying to cut where we can. I do want to make the most of it though.
All this info is definitely going to help... especially seeing we'll be there 2 weeks...
Thanks again...
And if there is anything else, don't hesitate to contact me...
Cheers,

Angel

There are lots of bars along the beach at Orient Bay. It's a beautiful beach. Also, second Simpson Bay. That seems to be where everyone goes for nightlife.

How's the shore diving around St Martin??
Does anyone know great grocery stores that have good deals?? I don't mind driving to St Maarten...then we can really visit the island...
What is the crime like in Orient Bay?? What dives would you recommend to do in that area???
Thanks again for all the help!!

On Saba, I highly recommend diving with Sea Saba. In all my years of diving, I've never used a dive operation anywhere that was better.

Excellent... thanks Walter... looks like you had a great time in Saba... we definitely can't miss visiting there...
What else is there to do in St Martin??

On Saba, I highly recommend diving with Sea Saba. In all my years of diving, I've never used a dive operation anywhere that was better.

was in contact with Lynn there... BTW she says to say hi Salter... :wink:
I've had a second friend suggest us going there so now its definitely on the itinerary...
Thanks all

I was in Saba in January, 2006. Can second the good words for Sea Saba. If you talk to Lynn remind her we were the guys who had the three foot iguana in their villa!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom