Hotel to boat bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myersjv

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a nice travel bag that easily fits all of my gear and more, but it is a little too large to transport to and keep on a boat. I was considering my options and think I would like a mesh backpack of some sort. There are a bunch out there and I would love some advice from someone who loves theirs. I would like one that can be dunked in fresh water, but that also has some dry space. Any advice? Thanks.

I've got a Stahlsac mesh rucksack, which is plenty big enough to get all my kit in (wetsuit, BCD, fins, mask, DSMB, reel, etc, etc) and has a drybag section large enough to take all my clothes and a towel. It also has a little Velcro pocket on the front for odds and sods.

I've seen a lot of mesh bags, but some are a bit small and it can be a squeeze getting everything in.

Mark

I've got a Stahlsac mesh rucksack, which is plenty big enough to get all my kit in (wetsuit, BCD, fins, mask, DSMB, reel, etc, etc) and has a drybag section large enough to take all my clothes and a towel. It also has a little Velcro pocket on the front for odds and sods.

I've seen a lot of mesh bags, but some are a bit small and it can be a squeeze getting everything in.

Mark

My wife has the Stahlsac too, I think the model is the Bonaire. She loves it. I have an Akona of the same design, except it has a "semi-dry" pocket inside instead of a dry pocket. Doesn't "semi-dry" equal "wet"? :D

We own several Stahlsacs and these are great bags. Plus, they are warrantied for life. Even though its outside the warranty language, they will replace a bag for almost any reason including damage from an airline.

I have a mesh duffle from US divers (now AquaLung). I like the big zippered opening. With large version we can stuff everything for two people with the exception of BCDs in it.

Mariner Mesh Bag

For keeping stuff dry we bring a dry bag.

I have a cheaper deep sea mesh bag. It does not have a dry compartment, but it will fit all my gear for the boat (BCD, fins, regs, wetsuit, booties, mask, etc). It does have a little compartment up front that I keep some misc stuff like sea drops and some extra zip ties in. My wife and I each have our own mesh bag for the boat and then we share a dry bag that we put towels, t-shirts, and other random stuff we want to keep dry in.

From the hotel to the boat I find it more convenient to wear the BCD and use a small non-wheeled duffle bag with a couple of pockets to carry the rest of the gear. The duffle (about 30" long) folds up nicely into my one checked suitcase when traveling by air, but can also be used to check things like wetsuits or clothing if you need a bit more space or if your first bag is overweight.

To protect a few select items such as land camera and cellphone from saltwater, I use a 10 liter drybag. Look in the kayaking/white water rafting section of a sporting good store to find a good selection of drybags in a variety of sizes.

we have had TUSA mesh bags for ages, very durable but I'm not sure if they still make that one. It's like a drawstring bag but also has a zipper down the side, a handle on top, and backpack straps that will work as a shoulder strap. No dry section though. I can see the convienience of one bag but I think I prefer a separate dry bag. More versatile, because I use drybags for other things anyway and can take the one that is the size I need. Plus even if it's supposedly a dry section I don't want to go out of my way to submerge it like I will do with a mesh bag of gear. I also share a dry bag with my husband while we have separate mesh gear bags.

(Dry bags with a roll up closure are pretty reliably dry, and simple so they're not expensive.
Truly dry bags with zippers are expensive. Cheap "dry" bags with zippers are damp bags.)

We are diving for the first time in a couple of years. The Bahamas is our destination. (Yes, we're taking a refresher course).

I like the stahlsac mesh backpack. Stuart Cove's is picking us up at the hotel. I can see this bag will work for the bus but How does this work for you once you get on the boat? Does it fold up easily?

Back
Top Bottom