Hotel & Dive Shop recommendations for Ft. Lauderdale or Palm Beach areas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's easy to take the bus to the airport! Take the bus that runs along the beach and 17th St. Causeway (sorry, I forget the number but it will be obvious) west to the Southwest Corner of 17th and U.S. 1 (there's a Burger King there) then wait on that corner to catch the #1 Bus south to the airport. When you get on the first bus pay a little extra for a transfer so you don't have to pay $1 for the second bus. If I only have a carryon, I always take the bus to the airport rather than a taxi.

No matter what the folks above say, you really don't "need" a car. I love having one, but I know dozens of people who don't even own a car; with the cost of insurance, it's cheaper for them to take the bus and spring for a taxi when they have to tote something too big for the bus.

No matter what, have fun and do come beach diving with us!

So, sytech, I've read your request and the resulting responses from all the kind locals (and others simply 'in the know').... I, too, will be experiencing the FLL scene -- my first time -- and I'm bringing my wife and two teenagers. We will be flying in on 11/19 and diving the 20th and 21st before migrating north to Cocoa Beach for Thanksgiving.

How was your trip? Where'd did you stay? Dive Op? I'd sure appreciate hearing from you and learning what you liked and/or disliked as not to experience something that could be avoided. Thank you in advace!

Anyone else, please feel free to chime in.

X

p.s. Right now I'm leaning towards Fillexpress and American Dream II . . . Hotel is waay up in the air though.

Fillexpress is a long drive from the American Dream...there are great dive shops close to American Dream, and great dive boats close to Fill Express. I love AD; what did you need to get at FE?

DebbyDiver:
Fillexpress is a long drive from the American Dream...there are great dive shops close to American Dream, and great dive boats close to Fill Express. I love AD; what did you need to get at FE?

I'm completely open to suggestions. Fill-X comes highly recommended . . . We are planning Monday shore dives to get everyone's fins wet, and thought Fill-X would lend well to tanks and other last minute 'adjustments' for anyone. Depending on everyone's morning experience, we will look into afternoon options. Tuesday we plan on American Dream II 2-tank AND a night dive.

btw, there will be six of us (another couple and their one bubble-watcher) . . . anyone is welcome to join us and show us your beach/reefs/shallow wrecks!

I would not drive that far to rent tanks, you could just rent them at the boat. If you beach dive, there are dive shops pretty close to all the beaches. FE has a great rep, but I've never been there because I just wouldn't drive that far for air (I don't do mixed gas).

I stayed at the Sands Harbor in Pompano Beach about a month ago. Quite inexpensive if you reserve it through Whitehouse Divers right down the street. Ask for "Nye".

Hotel is somwhat run down but the studio room was fine. Main thing for me is that it's within easy walking distance of dive boats.

Second time I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66. Nice hotel but way overpriced unless you can get a package deal . Don't eat in that hotel because the prices are nuts. Nice restaurants about a mile over the bridge. Went diving with American Dream II. Very professional operation. Enjoyed it. Their boat is right outside the door of the hotel.

Have fun,

Sy

xric:
So, sytech, I've read your request and the resulting responses from all the kind locals (and others simply 'in the know').... I, too, will be experiencing the FLL scene -- my first time -- and I'm bringing my wife and two teenagers. We will be flying in on 11/19 and diving the 20th and 21st before migrating north to Cocoa Beach for Thanksgiving.

How was your trip? Where'd did you stay? Dive Op? I'd sure appreciate hearing from you and learning what you liked and/or disliked as not to experience something that could be avoided. Thank you in advace!

X

p.s. Right now I'm leaning towards Fillexpress and American Dream II . . . Hotel is waay up in the air though.

That dive shop is called "Lighthouse Dive" NOT "Whitehouse Dive"

xric:

X

sytech:
I stayed at the Sands Harbor in Pompano Beach about a month ago. Quite inexpensive if you reserve it through Whitehouse Divers right down the street. Ask for "Nye".

Hotel is somwhat run down but the studio room was fine. Main thing for me is that it's within easy walking distance of dive boats.

Second time I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66. Nice hotel but way overpriced unless you can get a package deal . Don't eat in that hotel because the prices are nuts. Nice restaurants about a mile over the bridge. Went diving with American Dream II. Very professional operation. Enjoyed it. Their boat is right outside the door of the hotel.

Have fun,

Sy

I've always loved the Sands Harbor. It's funky, but fun, right on the marina and a block from the beach. I lived in the neighborhood for a number of years, and spent a lot of time in the pool and at the Patio Bar.

- Paul

howarde:
Rental car is a must. Also, remember, it's a Florida law that you MUST be talking on your cell phone when you are driving :p

Geez, I thought that was just a law in Colorado! :D

Here is a thread from last summer that has some links to places near LBTS.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=143117

I agree with others, a rental is a must!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom