Hotel & Dive Shop recommendations for Ft. Lauderdale or Palm Beach areas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DebbyDiver:
Are you thinking of the Marina Motor Inn?

Re: the car, we are assuming that Sytech wants to drive or is able to drive in recommending a rental. Sytech, in the event that you don't want to or can't drive, American Dream is probably the operator that is closest to Fort Lauderdale International, saving on taxi fare, and you truly can walk, hop a bus, or take a short taxi ride to lots of cool stuff. If you are able to or want to drive, it will really expand your opportunities for diving and other fun.

No Debby that is not it. I was staying there the day I was diving with you and American dream. I thought I may have saved the email from them but I did not. Anyway, it is a popular chain hotel with some good rates.

Anywho, I was just thinking if he didn't want a car that is another place close to AD, so he could walk if he liked.

Hopefully this list (clicky) will show up for you like it does on my computer; takes Pier 66 (American Dream's location) and lists hotels/motels by distance from there. Do you see it; if so could you post your recommended motel for Sytech?

By the way the Marina Motor Inn used to be a Best Western but somebody just bought it.

Hey Sytech, keep an eye on the forums when you're ready to come down here, you're welcome to join the "Johnson Street Beach Diving Club" for a swim to the reefs.

Without the car, you're trapped. The car is cheap. The car is actually costing me more than the apartment because I'm buying the extra insurance so as not to be a scum-bag. You must have insurance if you are in NJ so the car rental is cheap. I've thought about getting a bicycle and trailer in the past, but its not practical. I've been walking to work in lower Manhattan for 18 years but it doesn't work in Fl. I don't think it works in NJ either. Get the car. Get around. That's how they do it here.

Oh yeah, if you're walking in SFLA, you should bring your own meth. But not on the plane silly.

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations.

No, Sytech doesn't want to rent a car so the Pier 66 or the Best Western Marina Inn Yacht Harbor sound good. I can' t seem to find any "live" links to the latter though.

Maybe they've changed ownership? Any opinion on the Bahia Mar?

Thanks to all,

Sy

DebbyDiver:
Are you thinking of the Marina Motor Inn?

Re: the car, we are assuming that Sytech wants to drive or is able to drive in recommending a rental. Sytech, in the event that you don't want to or can't drive, American Dream is probably the operator that is closest to Fort Lauderdale International, saving on taxi fare, and you truly can walk, hop a bus, or take a short taxi ride to lots of cool stuff.

If you are able to or want to drive, a rental car will really expand your opportunities for diving and other fun.

Bahia Mar is walkable but it is a looooooooong walk. However, there is pretty regular bus service at $1 a pop. And it would be a quick taxi ride.

There aren't any live links to Marina Motor Inn that I could find, it just changed hands and may be undergoing renovations and not available for reservations, I don't know...but Yahoo! Yellow Pages says you can call them at (954) 525-3484. Good luck...when are you arriving?

Ft. Lauderdale Grand was where I stayed. They have super great beds and awesome pillows :D

Missdirected:
Ft. Lauderdale Grand was where I stayed. They have super great beds and awesome pillows :D

Here's their website. I haven't stayed there myself (duh 'cuz I live here!) but it looks LOVELY!!! it's the former Marina Marriott which was known to be a nice place.

Here is a map and directions if you stay there then dive with American Dream. Note that the 17th St. Causeway Bridge is REALLY high and steep, if you are choosing to schlep dive gear. :11: If you're renting gear from American Dream then you only need schlep your mask and fins, a towel and suntan lotion.

Or you could just take a taxi, taxis 'round here are quite accustomed to dive gear.

sytech:
I am planning to fly into either Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm Beach and am looking for a moderately priced hotel within walking distance of the dive boats.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

I've done this twice. You absolutely do not need a car in Ft. Lauderdale. Both times I went I dove with ProDive. The first time I stayed at Bahia Mar which is practically next door to ProDive. The second time, I stayed at the Days Inn which is at the end of the beach. Then I just took the bus (http://www.co.broward.fl.us/bct/).

I actually got these rooms with Priceline, which gave me a very inexpensive room. Since the bus runs the whole length of the beach, you just don't have to worry about where exactly you stay.

You can even take the bus to/from the Airport for a few dollars (taxi is about $15 I think). My usual itenerary there is 3 days of diving and one day off-gassing. For that day, I go back to the airport to get a car and see the rest of the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom