Hotel & Dive Shop recommendations for Ft. Lauderdale or Palm Beach areas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning to fly into either Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm Beach and am looking for a moderately priced hotel within walking distance of the dive boats.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

You need a car. You can rent one at the airport for $150.00 a week.

I stayed at the Sands Harbor in Pompano Beach. It is in the same marina as several dive boats. For that I used S Florida Divers. Treated us well. And yes you still need a car for the area, but you can walk to the boat.

I've dived with S FL Dive HQ as well... I was on their small boat, and it was fine.

Here's a list of FLL and Pompano area dive boats http://www.fillexpress.com/boats.shtml

Most are fine, and I usually decide whom to dive with based on sites being visited.

As for hotels. It really depends which time of year you're staying.

Rental car is a must. Also, remember, it's a Florida law that you MUST be talking on your cell phone when you are driving :p

pir8:
I stayed at the Sands Harbor in Pompano Beach. It is in the same marina as several dive boats. For that I used S Florida Divers. Treated us well. And yes you still need a car for the area, but you can walk to the boat.
South Florida Diving Headquarters is a great dive op! I've been out with them several times. Sands Harbor is a decent hotel at a fair price. I recall hearing somewhere that it will be torn down soon........? I think the building is pretty old.

Hope you enjoy your trip sytech!

I love diving with American Dream, and they are docked at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66. If you stayed there, you would not need a car, you would have adequate access to public transportation and could walk or take a short taxi ride to LOTS of cool stuff. And it is not all that far from the airport, either.

Dude, just rent the car. Its so easy. You just claim your rolling luggage, take an escalator, get the key to the car, throw in your stuff, and off you go to a cheaper- than-than-a-hotel-room apartment with a full kitchen in LBTS. You easily save the car rental fee by eating in and you can beach dive for practice then drive anywhere you want any time you want. Keys, WPB, etc. I'm doing that now.

DebbyDiver:
I love diving with American Dream, and they are docked at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66. If you stayed there, you would not need a car, you would have adequate access to public transportation and could walk or take a short taxi ride to LOTS of cool stuff. And it is not all that far from the airport, either.

There is another hotel directly over the bridge across the water from the boat. I can't think of the name but I am sure you can find it. Really good rates.

Get the car.

Missdirected:
There is another hotel directly over the bridge across the water from the boat. I can't think of the name but I am sure you can find it. Really good rates.

Are you thinking of the Marina Motor Inn?

Re: the car, we are assuming that Sytech wants to drive or is able to drive in recommending a rental. Sytech, in the event that you don't want to or can't drive, American Dream is probably the operator that is closest to Fort Lauderdale International, saving on taxi fare, and you truly can walk, hop a bus, or take a short taxi ride to lots of cool stuff.

If you are able to or want to drive, a rental car will really expand your opportunities for diving and other fun.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom