Hotel Cozumel vs. Villa Blanca vs. ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

backprop

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning a dive trip with a friend in October to Cozumel.

I stayed previously at Villa Blanca and dived with Papa Hog's. Both were fine - nothing spectacular but fine.

When I think about what I'd like different this time, being closer to town would be nice, for going to dinner and even grabbing provisions.

I've read the TripAdvisor feedback and the two hotels - Hotel Cozumel and Villa Blanca - are about the same. The only thing I really want (have to check in with work) is decent internet access in the room. We won't be doing all-inclusive either way; just breakfasts.

Does anybody have feedback between these two hotels? They're very similarly priced for the dates I'm looking at.

Thanks for the ideas.

Never stayed at Villa Blanca, so can't give any comparison. I've stayed at Hotel Cozumel just once, 3 years ago. I liked the Hotel, big comfortable rooms, good AC, huge pool, and a relatively easy walk to town. Breakfast was just OK (the coffee was swill, but that's common on Coz - I went to Rock 'N Java for a coffee fix), but, IMO, the AI food for lunches and dinners was just awful - bland and flavorless, so good call on NOT doing the AI. When I stayed there, there was no WiFi in rooms, and it was sometimes spitty in the lobby. They may have upgraded it by now.

Villa Aldora has in-room internet access but verify. North of town. 15-20 minutes walk to the ferry area. Aldora picks up divers there.

I stay at hotel Cozumel. It has WiFi in rooms, lobby, and across the street at the restaurant. If you stay here request a room close to elevators for better signal. I don't do much but check email and simple stuff like that. I'm no computer guy but I know if the hotel is full the bandwidth gets used up. Since you said you are not doing all inclusive most all the restaurants in town have WiFi.

I stay there every winter & yes the Wifi works in most rooms but it has slowed drastically now that just about everyone has a tablet or phone that uses it. I'm fine with the food too but since you're not looking at AI it's a non issue. Lots of info on the hotel in the captions in this album. Picasa Web Albums - Larry - Hotel Cozumel...

Thanks for the advice everyone. I checked into Blue Angel but about five or six in my local dive circle all chimed in unison when I asked about it, saying they wouldn't stay there again (various problems).

Aldora is well respected but their villas are a bit out of the price range for these dates. VillaBlanca, Hotel Cozumel, and Blue Angel were on the initial short list.

Great advice on room location in Hotel Cozumel.

Other comparisons still appreciated.

I've stayed at both. The internet was excellent at Villablanca that times years ago, while Hotel Coz can be slow - but either could have changed?

I don't know when you're traveling exactly so my price search may not be the same as yours? Hotel Coz seems to be $71 for a double room, but at Villablanca you can get a Superior room for $88 at Hotels.com - huge room, full size fridge, overlooking a garden area with a angled view of the channel.

Google says that Hotel Coz is 1.8 Km or a 22 minute walk to the plaza downtown; that's 1.1 miles and beyond my enjoyment.

Consider Blue Angel.
Very nice place. I enjoyed it several times before they renovated and the prices went out of my budget. It's between Hotel Coz and Villablanca.
Thanks for the advice everyone. I checked into Blue Angel but about five or six in my local dive circle all chimed in unison when I asked about it, saying they wouldn't stay there again (various problems).
I can't imagine why anyone would complain about the place, other than price - unless it's changed more...? :confused:

For this trip, it's a moot point - someone must appreciate Blue Angel because it's booked the two weeks in October I'm looking :)

Well, since people are recommending Blue Angel, which wasn't part of your original question,- can I recommend Suites Bahia?

When I think about what I'd like different this time, being closer to town would be nice, for going to dinner and even grabbing provisions.

In town, and so easy to walk to wonderful places for dinner, or Mega to grab some stuff for the room. Fridge and Microwave.

I recommend a balcony room (ours had a sideways oceanview)- super cheap... Large rooms. The water pressure wasn't very good, but we had lots of hot water. No pool.
Good wifi in room. Great breakfast included 2 blocks down.

You would have to get yourself to the marina if your op does not do in town pickup, or dive with someone who gives rides from town included in their rate (that's what we did).

Back
Top Bottom