Hotel Cozumel in May/June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My husband and I are planning a honeymoon trip to Cozumel. After reading ALL the Cozumel threads, we are leaning towards Hotel Cozumel. Our goal is to stay at a location that is close to restraunts, close to diving, and is not crazy loud. The hotel/resort should have access to a small beach with some sand. Is Hotel Cozumel the place for us?

Other questions:

We noticed that prices for May are cheaper than January. Is this because of the weather conditions?

I assume that the water temps in May will be warmer. Correct? Is May an optimal time to dive?

From a diving perspective, are there downfalls to choosing May over January?

What is the best side of the island to stay if you want to dive?

Thanks guys for all your help!

We have stayed at many different hotels in Cozumel,Hotel Cozumel is our favorite and should fit all of your requirements nicely.January is during peak season,May is a great time in Cozumel(we go in May and November or December every year.)Weather is usally good in May with water temps in the low 80's.The Hotel is a short walk to town or the grocery store or about 3 bucks for a taxi.Small sandy beach area,but you enter and exit the ocean from a dock.Two pools one on the ocean and the largest pool on the island in the hotel main complex.Hotel puts on entertainment at night several times weekly but it has never been too loud for us to sleep on those nights we fell out before 10 p.m.As far as I know all the Hotels are on the leeward side of the island.Almost any of the dive operators will pick you up right at the Hotel Cozumel dock.Hope this helps.Enjoy your trip and be warned Cozumel is ADDICTVE!
Dive-Ho

Waterlovers2003:
My husband and I are planning a honeymoon trip to Cozumel. After reading ALL the Cozumel threads, we are leaning towards Hotel Cozumel. Our goal is to stay at a location that is close to restraunts, close to diving, and is not crazy loud. The hotel/resort should have access to a small beach with some sand. Is Hotel Cozum

Other questions:

We noticed that prices for May are cheaper than January. Is this because of the weather conditions?

I assume that the water temps in May will be warmer. Correct? Is May an optimal time to dive?

From a diving perspective, are there downfalls to choosing May over January?

What is the best side of the island to stay if you want to dive?

Thanks guys for all your help!

Waterlovers2003 -
We stayed in Hotel Cozumel in May of this year. The reason for the price drop is that it's the beginning of the rainy season. It rained a couple of times when we were there, but it didn't interfere with diving. I'd say that the hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the restaurants downtown. We didn't use the taxis, but you'll have no problem finding one.

Do yourself a favor, buy a BIG container of water at the supermarket. And if you're interested in bringning alcohol back, thet t prices at the supermarket are cheaper than the stores in town.

We did have some problems with condensation from the AC unit in the room, but it wasn't a big thing.
If you have more money to spend, we looked at the Plaza las Glorias when we were there. It was a little closer to town, and I think the rooms looked a little nicer, but it cost more than Hotel Cozumel.

I don't think that any of the hotels around Hotel Cozumel have real beaches - they've carted in sand. At Hotel Cozumel, there's a ladder entry into the water. DIdn't matter much to us, since we don't sunbathe.

Have a great time on your honeymoon!

We have stayed there several times and have really enjoyed the hotel, it suits us They do have nightly entertainment so it is not totally quite. The beach club across the street has a small beach (manmade) with steps and a ladder down to the water. It also has a small pool and a open air resturant. http://www.hotelcozumel.com.mx/

The Caribbean has a low and high season where prices are lowered for various reasons. Yes the rainy season starts but it is usually just afternoon tropical showers plus it gets hot in Coz in the summer months. We have been to Coz in winter and summer. I prefer the summer months May-Aug but being from Texas we don't mind the heat. We went last Dec and the air was a bit cool a norte had blown in and made the daytime temps perfect for sunbathing.

In May your water temps will be in the low 80's but they don't vary much during the year. The cons regarding diving in the winter months is the air may feel cooler so after a dive you may want to bring a windbreaker and something to cover your head for the boat ride back. Plus if a strong norte comes through the harbor master may close off diving if it is too rough for the boats to get out. Minor things and it doesn't occur all winter.

Cons for summer diving is of course Hurricanes but those don't start until mid June. The heat is another factor.

The only side of the island to stay on if you are diving is the westside. The eastside is the windward side and usually is too rough to dive but a nice drive over there to stop at CoConuts to have a drink and take in the view.

Anytime you go it will be great. Just decided when it is best for you and make your plans.

parrotheaddiver:
The Caribbean has a low and high season where prices are lowered for various reasons. ...

The main one being that in the winter months, the demand is higher due to "snowbirds" from northern climes looking for respite from the cold. That drives the prices up.

The lower prices in the low season don't at all mean that Coz is a less desireable place to go during that time.

Cheers,

We stayed at Hotel Cozumel in Dec 2002.
The grounds are nice. Rooms were clean. And you'll always hear that they have the largest pool on the island.
However, we found most of the employees rude. Only the bellhop had a wonderful personallity.
The food was also very bad at the time we were there.
Even though they have a beautiful pool, it is not located at the beach. And unless they have modified the "beach area" it is very very small with a very tiny pool. I would estimate it at being less than 50'.
Also, it was very difficult to relax at the pool because there was always some sort of entertainment going on.

We prefered the rooms at Plaza Las Glorias so much more. :07:
They're larger and have an ocean view. The pool is smaller, but still a very nice pool. And the beach area is quite a bit larger. They also have outside showers for rinsing.
And PLG is located a block or two closer to town than Hotel Cozumel. Also directly across the street from Chedraui where you can pick up anything that you need.
Also, PLG is currently closed for renovation and scheduled to open on Dec 24, 2004. This means that all of the rooms will be new.
The food was also much better at PLG if you wanted to eat there. Although, we prefer to go into town for our meals.

And, I would prefer the on-site dive shop at PLG - Aqua Safari - to Hotel Cozumel's shop which is Dive Paradise. Although there is no reason that you would need to use either one.

I was in Cozumel in June 2003 and July 2004 during "low season" because I am a cheap . . er. . I mean frugal individual. (Also because the winter months are for snow ski racing)

It was really hot in July, but the June trip was pretty reasonable. There were some showers in June in the few days before I arrived, and it rained very briefly (like minutes) during the week that I was there in June, but it was not a problem at all.

Of course this year in June they had some major storm come through with flooding (I think it was June. . . )

It seems as if May and June should be just fine. In fact, I hope to go in either May or June of 2005. I will try not to interrupt your Honeymoon.

Wristshot

cozudiver:
We stayed at Hotel Cozumel in Dec 2002.
The grounds are nice. Rooms were clean. And you'll always hear that they have the largest pool on the island.
However, we found most of the employees rude. Only the bellhop had a wonderful personallity.
The food was also very bad at the time we were there.
Even though they have a beautiful pool, it is not located at the beach. And unless they have modified the "beach area" it is very very small with a very tiny pool. I would estimate it at being less than 50'.
Also, it was very difficult to relax at the pool because there was always some sort of entertainment going on.

We prefered the rooms at Plaza Las Glorias so much more. :07:
They're larger and have an ocean view. The pool is smaller, but still a very nice pool. And the beach area is quite a bit larger. They also have outside showers for rinsing.
And PLG is located a block or two closer to town than Hotel Cozumel. Also directly across the street from Chedraui where you can pick up anything that you need.
Also, PLG is currently closed for renovation and scheduled to open on Dec 24, 2004. This means that all of the rooms will be new.
The food was also much better at PLG if you wanted to eat there. Although, we prefer to go into town for our meals.

And, I would prefer the on-site dive shop at PLG - Aqua Safari - to Hotel Cozumel's shop which is Dive Paradise. Although there is no reason that you would need to use either one.

Plaza Las Glorias closed at the end of August. It is being completely gutted and remodeled as I type. When it reopens, it will be under completely new manangement/ownership and will be an all-inclusive resort. It will reopen as a palace resort, but I don't know the specific name yet. I've heard a few different things.

Projected reopening date is December 24, 2004, but I don't see how that is going to be possible.

Here is another reason why prices are low in May. Spring break is over but school is not out yet. Very few families w/ school age children travel in May and the college kids are taking finals. However, don't think you wont run into kids. Many families with younger children like to travel during May because of the low prices and smaller crowds.

Is the Plaza Las Glorias becoming part of the Mayan Palace time share chain or the Palace Resort (Sun, Moon, Adventure) hotel chain? It sounds like, since it will be all-inclusive, it might be the hotel chain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom