Hotel at LBTS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trisha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're coming back this summer -- but we're not taking the RV!
So I've been combing the internet for hotels and apartments on El Mar Drive and Datura Avenue, or maybe El Mar Drive and Washingtonia Avenue (thanks for the tip, Eileen.) Ocean Drive is possible, but it's a long walk in the July sun and I'd hate to cross AIA with my scuba gear.
I've found some interesting sites (Shore Haven Resort Inn, 4433 N. Ocean Drive, has virtual tours, whoo!) but I wanted to ask here as well.

We are looking for clean, economical, free parking, in-house laundry, preferably with a microwave/fridge setup or kitchen. We have two adults and two teens, all divers.
And it needs to be within walking distance of the beach (beachfront is proving to be too expensive) since we will be lugging our gear from the room to the shore. This way we can scuba dive whenever we want to, with no traffic or parking hassles, and the kids are nearby if they would rather stay at the facilities or the beach.
The time frame is June 25 to July 10. Yeah, we're going to be down for another holiday. The girls are still talking about the green-painted guys at the St. Patrick's Day parade. Oh dear, oh dear....

Are there places that you recommend?
Are there places you would say to avoid?

Thanks in advance -- can't wait to check out the eel at the snorkeling trail!

My neighbors have their friends stay at the Sea Echo. They say it's clean & well run. Don't know much about it despite being 1/2 block from me. Let me know where you land- perhaps we can get together to dive:
Sea Echo Apt.
4209 El Mar Drive,
Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, FL 33308
(954) 776-5803

Villa 'Orleans. Clean, quiet, full kitchens, on A1A slightly N of t he pier. Great live-in owner. No prostitutes or drug dealers. Alas.

Beachfront is the even-addresses on El Mar. You're right, Ocean is too much walk in July with gear, but otherwise it's just two streets. You might also think about Holiday Inn LBTS or the Clarion... each is a larger chain with good beach access (in spite of being on the "odd" side of El Mar and Ocean lol Beach access is right across the street... unique locations).

MikeJacobs:
Beachfront is the even-addresses on El Mar. You're right, Ocean is too much walk in July with gear, but otherwise it's just two streets. You might also think about Holiday Inn LBTS or the Clarion... each is a larger chain with good beach access (in spite of being on the "odd" side of El Mar and Ocean lol Beach access is right across the street... unique locations).

Where is the Holiday Inn? The Clarion is about 5 times the walk as Villa Oleans to get where you want to be. Villa Orleans is is pretty much a straight shot accross the parking lot at the police station. In June its too hot in a wetsuit to walk anywhere. You can just half put it on and and pull up the top uder one of the gazebo things or you can just drive your stuff the one block to EL Mar, drop it off with one person, park at the motel and walk back in a couple of minutes. I've done it a couple of times. Its nice to have a kitchen.

evad:
Where is the Holiday Inn? The Clarion is about 5 times the walk as Villa Oleans to get where you want to be...
lol.. wrong. The Clarion is at the north end of the El Mar strip and they own the property across the street, a very nice little "old Florida beach" bar we frequent often - Damons. The reef there is arguably better than south of Commercial, though a little farther out. We like to drop our kayaks in there to paddle out and then drift down toward the pier.

The spot you're talking about is a hike, across streets and through the neighborhood.

The Holiday Inn is at the south end of the El Mar strip. Again, it has its own beach access across El Mar.

The problem with most of odd-address El Mar hotels is that they don't have direct beach access. Both the Clarion and Holiday Inn do, with the added benefit of on-site food & drinks.

The area you're talking about is ok, but for a few extra bucks I'd want to be on the beach at that time of year. Nothing in the area is "real nice" - it's all dumpy but overall motel-class clean.

Thanks for the heads-up, guys. We drove through the area in March but did not stroll through the neighborhood -- too much diving to do. With two weeks I'm more inclined to be leary of anything high crime or dodgy.
Marvel, I've been reading the posts on LBTS diving. I am very interested in advise from "old hats." What's commonplace to you is a whole new world for me. I'm happy when I can see the perch before they start nibbling (it makes for interesting discussions while waiting for my dive buddies to get into the water!)

Trisha:
With two weeks I'm more inclined to be leary of anything high crime or dodgy.
QUOTE]

That eleminates Florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom