Hot Water Delivery Systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upstate Scuba OWI

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
My public safety dive team is looking at how commercial divers have hot water delivered to them when diving wet suits. I'm reaching out to the Scuba Board Commercial Divers for info on which systems work best, are there any DIY ways, and considerations we need to consider. All suggestions are appreciated. We already use a system www.hazmatshower.com to pre and post dive heat the diver but can't deliver water to the diver under the water.

I know a hull cleaner who uses a propane-powered, on-demand hot water heater mounted on the radar arch of his RIB to pump hot water down into the freediving suit he wears when working. Just tapes the hot water hose to his air hose and runs the bitter end into a slit he cut the the wetsuit top, right between the shoulders in back. Claims if anything, it's too warm.

The unit you have may work if it can deliver enough pressure. You would need to add a water hose to your umbilical that can go down the back of the wetsuit and then branch it off with smaller tubing to other parts of the suit. If the unit cannot deliver enough pressure a DIY solution would be a copper coil inside an upright pipe with a cover on top and a propane burner at the bottom. You could then regulate the temperature by how fast you pump the water through the coils.

The real system does not use a "wet suit" as you stated. It is a specifically designed, baggy neoprene suit with a water distribution system of tubes in it. The two big problems are 1. control of the flow, which = temperature at the diver's end, and 2. the even distribution of the hot water. I think you would be much better off just getting a hot water suit than spending 1.5 times the amount designing and testing your own system.

Also, a safety concern with public safety divers is that most operations take place in contaminated and hazardous water. A hot water suit offers no haz mat protection.

The real system does not use a "wet suit" as you stated. It is a specifically designed, baggy neoprene suit with a water distribution system of tubes in it. The two big problems are 1. control of the flow, which = temperature at the diver's end, and 2. the even distribution of the hot water. I think you would be much better off just getting a hot water suit than spending 1.5 times the amount designing and testing your own system.

Also, a safety concern with public safety divers is that most operations take place in contaminated and hazardous water. A hot water suit offers no haz mat protection.
Great points. I hadn't even considered the haz mat issue.

"Also, a safety concern with public safety divers is that most operations take place in contaminated and hazardous water. A hot water suit offers no haz mat protection."

We have custom fit Viking dry suits that are assigned out to vetern team divers for such an haz mat enviroments just looking for a way to extend our in water training season for the FNG's

Regarding my buddy's DIY hot water suit; I've always thought it could be improved upon by mounting a drysuit inflator valve on the chest and one in back between the shoulders. Split the water supply hose with a "Y" at the weight belt and attach the ends to the valves. The valves would have to be modified or altered to be in the "open" position all the time (not sure how you would go about this) but such an arrangement would better distribute the water over the diver's body and keep cold water out by eliminating any slits in the suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom