hot mares proton metal!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lobbolt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently got my gear. My primary regulator is a mares proton metal. One time after a dive i was cleaning it in my bathroom and decided to use warm water to clean it. It would've been ok if the water was just warm, but I had it all the way hot. So the hot water was inside the second stage for a few seconds and then I realized that something was wrong. This reg then started having a very weak free flow. It seemed like the free flowing would start when the pressure was high enough, it wasn't a constant flow. This was of course easily fixed by the dive shop I bought my gear from. I'm really wondering if that hot water in the reg could've damaged it at all and if it caused to free flowing. Now this regulator has some more breathing resistance, maybe it's just from the shop guys adjusting it. Give me your comments and feedback please!

The Hot water may well have damaged / warped the seat in your second stage causing the free flow.

You only ever need to use cold water to rinse your regs.

Another good idea, and I do this always with my Regs, is to wash them with the tank connected and the air on. With the first stage and lines pressurised there is no chance of getting water in the lines if the Purge button is pushed while it is submerged. This water can travel to your first stage causing premature wearing and shorten the life of your regs. Also a dust cap is just that, it does not guarantee to stop water entering the First stage during rinsing of your first stage.

Cheers
Chris

lobbolt:
I recently got my gear. My primary regulator is a mares proton metal. One time after a dive i was cleaning it in my bathroom and decided to use warm water to clean it. It would've been ok if the water was just warm, but I had it all the way hot. So the hot water was inside the second stage for a few seconds and then I realized that something was wrong. This reg then started having a very weak free flow. It seemed like the free flowing would start when the pressure was high enough, it wasn't a constant flow. This was of course easily fixed by the dive shop I bought my gear from. I'm really wondering if that hot water in the reg could've damaged it at all and if it caused to free flowing. Now this regulator has some more breathing resistance, maybe it's just from the shop guys adjusting it. Give me your comments and feedback please!

I doubt if you have done any damage to the reg. The only parts that would be damaged by the hot water would be the soft parts such as diaphragms, seats, and O-rings. A Mares technician can easily inspect the silicone diaphragm for damage. The seat and O-rings are routinely changed out when serviced.

As far as the increase in cracking effort, the correct adjustment for the reg is for the tech to adjust the lever height so that a slight clicking is heard when the pressurized second stage is gently shook. I set all Protons to this adjustment by first removing the lever slack and then slightly backing off the adjustment nut until the clicking is barely audible. By not allowing the seat to take a set to the orifice, you cause free flowing to occur after the seat settles in.

If you need any further info feel free to PM me. I am a Mares tech and have serviced many Protons.

Greg

I'm with Greg. Not likely that the heat caused any damage. You likely only noticed this now because each time you took a breath you lowered the ip. This time it had a chance to build until it puffed out... If you say that the problem is fixed, I wouldn't worry too much

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom