Hoseless vs non-integrated Watch computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am in the market for a new dive computer. I would like to go with the "watch" format but am deciding if it is worth the extra cost to get the hoseless pressure integration vs just a stand alone computer watch and use my existing hose for pressure. I know you want to have pressure redundancy but is the extra money for the information that the transmission gives you worth it?

I don't see much point in air integration, I've never been surprised looking at my SPG. The watch format is too small for older eyes, though.

I am in the market for a new dive computer. I would like to go with the "watch" format but am deciding if it is worth the extra cost to get the hoseless pressure integration vs just a stand alone computer watch and use my existing hose for pressure. I know you want to have pressure redundancy but is the extra money for the information that the transmission gives you worth it?

Ooh...

:D

can-of-worms.jpg

I always carry an SPG. Air integration is a convenience. I must say, however, that once I got an AI computer about a year ago I am really, really pleased to have all the info on my wrist, complete with real-time gas remaining calculations based on effort during the dive. Now, I never look at the SPG, and carry that for redundancy only in the event the AI fails (which it has not).

Don't rely on "theoretical" pros and cons. The pros are very, very real, and if you have an SPG back-up, there are, actually, no cons at all. It comes down to whether it is worth the extra money to you. I wasn't sure when I bought it (I bought my particular computer for other reasons mainly, and not AI), but, now, I definitely say it was worth it, for me.

only you can determine if it's worth the extra money. It's not worth it at this point for me but it may be at some point

The adoption of new technology is often presented in the form of a bell curve that breaks users into segments. You have the "innovators", "early adaptors", "late adaptors", and the "laggards". The only reason why the "laggards" buy touch tone phones is because they can't buy rotary phones anymore. :).

In the context of dive technology, Computers and Air Integration are new innovations that have proven themselves to be highly useful and reliable. Can you dive without them? Yes. Will they make your dives easier, more accurate, safer, and more enjoyable? Yes. When I'm penetrating a long and narrow passage in a wreck, I'm thankful that my computer has AI. With the flick of the wrist, I have all the vitals I need with minimal movements.

Across all industries, innovation is happening. We can choose to be innovators, early adaptors, late adaptors or laggards within the bell curve of change. Our mindset and personalities will make that determination. There is no right or wrong choice. Only what works for you.

It was worth it to me. I like it for reasons already mentioned, plus I also like it because I download all my dive data from my wrist computer into Subsurface on my PC and I can see very detailed information on my gas consumption. And, diving with only 3 hoses coming off my 1st stage is nice. It seems very clean and streamlined.

I bought my computer with AI last December. Up until the last two weeks I always dove with it and a backup SPG (in a console with a 2nd computer). I sold the console computer/SPG a couple of weeks ago. The AI on my Atom has been so reliable (i.e. 100%) that I am no longer worried about doing Recreational dives and having the wireless AI as my only SPG. If I plan a major trip to travel somewhere to dive, I might take the SPG off my doubles regs and bring it with me, just in case my AI transmitter dies. I'd potentially have to abort one dive, but at least I could install the SPG on my reg and continue on with the next planned dive(s).

Are you asking about the difference between petrel 2 and eon steel, or about geo 2 vs eon steel? Because if it's the latter, Hollis DG03 is geo 2-level computer that's cheaper than Zoop and you can decide whether you want to add the transmitter or not later.

Are you asking about the difference between petrel 2 and eon steel, or about geo 2 vs eon steel? Because if it's the latter, Hollis DG03 is geo 2-level computer that's cheaper than Zoop and you can decide whether you want to add the transmitter or not later.

You really think the Petrel or the Eon fall into the category of "watch computer"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom