Hose protectors on or off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use one on my argon reg's hose. Its easy to sit on and kink right at the crimp. I've never needed them on any other reg. I wouldn't use AG's gear as a role model for anything, he's harder on gear than anyone I've ever known.

It's funny this thread came up, I just researched this question a few days ago (I'm putting together a doubles setup).

The threads I read that were in this area (most are a year old or more) were all mixed results, and there wasn't a firm DIR stance on it either way, so that makes it personal choice.

The consensus I got from most of the thread responses, was that you need to use them if you have a tight bend in your routing, otherwise, skip them.

The consensus I got from most of the thread responses, was that you need to use them if you have a tight bend in your routing, otherwise, skip them.
If you have a tight bend you might not be able to use a hose protector.

Good Gravy You're Yellow?

I don't know why I posted that :shakehead: Either forget I said anything, or ask your local Asian American.

Edit: It means a tight bend in the long hose in chinese. Haha, carry on, nothing to see here.

Not sure this makes any sense. If the hose has a "tight bend" it's the same bend whether there's a hose protector on it or not, no?

My take is that most people are better off being able to see the hose and detect any potential problem on visual inspection before it becomes an actual problem.

That said, with Miflex hose I don't have any sort of "tight bend" issues anyway.

going off on a tangent, but I'm slowly replacing my hoses with miflex for this reason... the crimps are thicker and don't cut into the braid on those hoses, like the thinner crimps do on the rubber hoses... I think they're the way to go if you can spare the clams on it.

FWIW, on my regs I use on my twin set (MK17s) I've actually cut the length of the hose protectors down from full length to about 2.5cm. You get a little bit of bend protection around the crimp, but the shorter length allows much tidier hose routing in a crossover configuration (primary inflation off right post).

Well, I discovered yesterday that my hose protectors are way too tight compared to some others. I was discussing this with another diver and he just pulls his back and forth to show me how he cleans and dries. I have to bowflex mine :shakehead:. I dove without them and didn't have any kink issues with my routing.

On another note: I also dove with my SPG removed from the big ol' console and clipped to the left hip D ring. I was a little concerned as I also have a bottle clipped off there but it was extremely easy to access and read. Makes me wonder why I lugged that big hunk of rubber around for so long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom