Hose protectors on or off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I thought I read that one should not use hose protectors as they trap moisture against the metal hose ends. Sure enough, after four days drying I removed them and they were still wet underneath.
But now I am reading on the GUE website that hose protectors should be used. DIR position?
If I have to put them back on, is there a trick? They were quite hard to pull off.

I also disassembled my console and found a simple SPG in there! Is there a specific knot to attatch the bolt snap to it (links).

Thanks,
Dale.

I think GI3 was/is against hose protectors, and I know some people who don't use them. I have also seen some long hoses where the hose is bulging near the crimp! These people didn't use hose protectors.

I use hose protectors on any hoses that could be strained. Occasionally I'll pull them down the hose and check for bulging or corrosion and then slide em back up.

For your second question:
How to Attach a Snap

This is another one of those little issues that I think give people the impression that DIR is all about gear choices ... use 'em or don't use 'em, just understand the limitations of either choice and act accordingly.

If you use 'em, pull 'em back and let your hose crimps dry out once in a while ... otherwise, it's a corrosion trap.

If you don't use 'em, check the hose around the crimp once in a while, and if it looks like it's starting to bulge, replace the hose ... they're not designed to last forever anyway, yanno.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you use them, use hose protectors that can be pulled back for easy inspection.

Also, consider whether they are really offering anything to your configuration. They are designed to prevent a tight bend in the hose that over time can increase the potential for a hose failure. However if using one on your particular hose routing results in a tight bend at the end of the hose protector, you are gaining nothing.

In most cases without ahose protector, the hose is not bent hard enough to damage the hose - just be sure the bend is not so close to the metal hose fitting that the hose gets presed against and cut by the crimp.

One potential downside is water and salt being held against the hose with corrosion of the metal fitting. In most of the regs I service with hose protectors, 90% of them have corrosion under the hose protector and they are again gaining nothing. The other downside is that in cold water a hose protector covering the metal hose fitting insulates the fitting and reduces heat transfer, increasing the potential for a freeze flow.

All in all, I prefer not to use them. At best they protect the hose from excessive bending and prolong it's life by a very small percentage. At worst, they cause corrosion and prevent easy and regular pre-dive inspection of the hose and hide damage that may cause a failure underwater.

we have some set-ups in our rental lines that did not have hose protectors installed when they were assembled. compared to the rentals that had protectors, the hoses don't last as long. definitely recommend protectors, but make sure you air them out regularly.

I've never used them except long ago on rental gear.

Properly routed hoses/regulators shouldn't need them as there should be no hard bends.

Properly routed hoses/regulators shouldn't need them as there should be no hard bends.
Depends on tanks and regs. Same set of regs that will not band with D12 cylinders can band when used with D18 cylinders. I use protectors on some hoses to avoid this and slide them when rinsing and drying.

I've never used them except long ago on rental gear.

I saw AG's regs a while ago, with the long hose on the MK25 swivel no less. It was bulged all crazy, not just a little. In this case I think the problem was heavy use and not replacing the hose when it was just starting to show signs of bulging.

I too have the MK25 firsts, and I can't see how the long hose would be improperly routed, especially on AG's rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom