Hose Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to reopen this discussion. I've noticed that after 250+ dives I seem to finally have my BC (Zeagle Zena) dialed in so it fits me perfectly - but now my inflator hose is so long it has become a PITA. The loop it makes at my shoulder bonks me in the head as I dive unless I pull it down so there's a loop between my shoulder and the end of the inflator (it's not an actual closed loop - it's more of a U shape). I thought I was having this problem because I'm short, but my husband also has the same problem. How short can I go? I've seen them as short as 6 or 9" and I think that's too short. I think mine is over 20" and I'd like to go to about 12". Is there a reason I should keep it long? I'm thinking as long as I can lift it over my shoulder to vent air I'm good to go. But I don't know what I don't know, so ... thoughts?

Well, I think you want the LPI hose and the inflator hose to be the same approximate length from where they first meet up (from the 1st stage and the bladder) to their working end (the power/oral inflator) so that they lay naturally on the shoulder and allow for the diver to turn and reach the mouthpiece for oral inflation without undue strain on the diver or inflator hose.

Like somebody else indicated, DGX offers a variety of LPI and inflator hose lengths. Measure what you have now and then gauge from there which of the two you prefer to adjust. If you have an overly proprietary inflator hose, you may only be able to swap out your LPI hose.

I’m getting the last bits of my twinset dialed in and the LPI hose provided by the manufacturer is too long but the inflator hose is just right so I’m replacing the LPI hose to get a tidy configuration from my 1st stage and bladder elbow down to the power inflator. I’m a bit of a zealot and always orally inflate (even on tec dives) so having this dialed in is important to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom