Hose Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find the 5ft hose routed in the hogarthian manner to be very comfortable. 7ft is specifically for single file air sharing in restrictions and is completely unnecessary for OW diving. I also have a 7ft hose for restrictions, so I've used both extensively. You'll love the bungied alternate on a 22" hose.

One thing I would recommend that Jim sort of implied, is that you should find an instructor to show you how to use the long hose setup. Your profile shows you to be not certified, so I can only guess that you are buying this equipment to get ready for an OW class that you are taking. I'm sure your instructor would be happy to answer questions before the class.

Nimoh:
You are correct; I just stated my OW course. I've finished the eLearning part of it and should start the pool part soon. I'm trying to suck in as much info as possible since this is a new adventure for me. This board certainly provides an abundance of info.

Ed

Nimoh:
You are correct; I just stated my OW course. I've finished the eLearning part of it and should start the pool part soon. I'm trying to suck in as much info as possible since this is a new adventure for me. This board certainly provides an abundance of info.

Ed

I agree, the board is a great way to learn things, and I am by no means saying you should talk to an instructor instead of asking on the board, but merely saying that you should do both. An instructor will be better at showing you how to do it, while Scubaboard is great resource for information.

And to add to that. Before buying the reg make sure your instructor will allow you to use it in that configuration.

And that he or she even knows how to do it. I just had an exchange with another member whose instructor for a family member said a long hose with bungee was not acceptable.

He wrongly stated that the octo needed to be on a 40-48 inch hose, yellow in color, and attached at the right hip by standards(he did not specify if this was agency or shop standards). If he meant agency this was BS as I do have the current standards for that class. But it may be his shop's standard which if so, oh well.

I think making new divers use gear they have already clearly said they will not be using after the class is shortsighted and potentially dangerous. I would have no problem teaching someone who showed up with a double hose that had an octo and SPG attached with an LP inflator hose to a horsecollar and a weight belt with rocks in the pockets. It meets the stanadards.

I would hate to see the OP show up for class with a set up and be told he could not use it. It would be bull crap but it could happen.

And to add to that. Before buying the reg make sure your instructor will allow you to use it in that configuration.

And that he or she even knows how to do it. I just had an exchange with another member whose instructor for a family member said a long hose with bungee was not acceptable.

He wrongly stated that the octo needed to be on a 40-48 inch hose, yellow in color, and attached at the right hip by standards(he did not specify if this was agency or shop standards). If he meant agency this was BS as I do have the current standards for that class. But it may be his shop's standard which if so, oh well.

I think making new divers use gear they have already clearly said they will not be using after the class is shortsighted and potentially dangerous. I would have no problem teaching someone who showed up with a double hose that had an octo and SPG attached with an LP inflator hose to a horsecollar and a weight belt with rocks in the pockets. It meets the stanadards.

I would hate to see the OP show up for class with a set up and be told he could not use it. It would be bull crap but it could happen.

I like that statement.

I think that it is important for students to be exposed to other gear configurations, although I agree that the focus should be on what they plan on diving.

No need, it was fine as it was.

How do you go around​ a corner?

---------- Post Merged at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:46 AM ----------

Further to what Jim said, there's no agency standard in PADI or SSI that prohibits a long-hose, or the primary donation that goes with it.

If an instructor shows disdain to teach you in that configuration, the retort should be that "you want to be taught in the configuration you will be using post-qualification". An instructor that won't do that, is probably not an instructor that can offer you the flexibility and breath of knowledge that you'd desire anyway...

good idea, I would hate to see someone finding the 7' hose too short and getting a 9' hose so they could go all the way around
icosm14.gif

LOL! You'd be surprised how often people who've never seen a HOG rig in action will come away with that impression.

Back
Top Bottom