Hose length for Rec only diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 60 inch hose and a 24 inch hose, both Miflex, on one of my travel regulator sets, the other has a 40 inch and a 24 inch, again both are the Miflex. I generally now donate the long hose primary regulator. However, I have a third regulator set up for conventional short hose primary, 24 inch Miflex and 36/40 inch Miflex secondary. My wife runs the same thing on her travel regulator.

As to people saying this little bit of weight here or that little bit there does not count or does not matter, it all adds up and it does matter. But to build a truly light weight travel rig that packs light and dives light, well, you have to build that rig with that goal in mind from the start and not listen to all the people who tell you the weight does not matter. Dive resorts have plenty of lead, I do not need to carry heavy dive equipment.

N

I do not envisage having a canister light or pocket on my harness (single piece webbing) to wrap a long hose around. However, I have heard that a 40", as it is not secured behind your head, can hang out in front when diving and so negating the entire point of the longer hose under your arm.
Just tuck the full 7' hose in the belt. If thats an issue, you can take some cheap pvc pipe and cut a 2" slot through it (with a router or dremel) for the webbing and slide it on to the belt. I used a 9" length of 3/4 diameter pipe. It ran me about $2 and an hour of work. If your money is burning a hole in your pocket, there's this thing from Halcyon. Deep Sea Supply has a fake can light too.

Thank you for the rapid responses.
Lorenzoid - although I like the idea and philosophy of the Hogarthian style, I prefer personal practicality and would prefer a more personalised setup if adjustments to the default Hog style may dictate I do so. I am interested that the 5' is too short for you. I really like the idea of the long hose for OOA situations but being a selfish ***, there are a couple of comments in your post that are what sit slightly off with me: "It does not feel especially long once you get accustomed to it." and "the excess or "loop" of your long hose on your right side can be dealt with in several ways". I'd rather get something I can feel comfortable with from the first to my last dive. Attaching pockets/knives to secure a hose when my idea of a BP/W was to simplify my rig seems a step backwards. Without these points, I would have already mail ordered a lovely 7' hose !

I completely understand. A couple of years ago when I got it into my head that the Hogarthian configuration was the way to go, nobody could have persuaded me either!

When wrapped around behind your head, is there friction on the back of your neck or tugging on the second stage? Is it something you get used to if so?

---------- Post added October 11th, 2014 at 11:07 PM ----------

Don't fret Lorenzoid, I'm listening! I have issues accessing a lot of the kit as well so maybe I'm also trying to persuade myself that the kit my LDS is sufficient.

No...I do not even notice it there nor does it rub your neck.

I teach a lot of open water courses. For those I use the standard hose configuration (lengths). All my advance courses I use and prefer the long-short hose configuration. I find it much more strealined. I have never had an alternate air source accidentally come loose and flap around while diving long-short hose configuration. :)

I would appreciate feedback for what you guys think my best option might be or if there are considerations I may not have mentioned?

A long hose is designed for sharing air within a restriction (cave/wreck/etc.) and for sharing air while continuing the dive. As a recreational diver you will not be doing either of these things, and don't need a hose any longer than you can reach. A standard length hose should be just fine.

In an air-sharing situation, you would be making a direct ascent to the surface with your buddy, not continuing the dive.

If you won't be using the extra length, a long hose is just "extra hose" that you need to find a place to stow.

flots.

A long hose is designed for sharing air within a restriction (cave/wreck/etc.) and for sharing air while continuing the dive. As a recreational diver you will not be doing either of these things, . . .

Sometimes at the beginning of a dive I will share a little air with my wife to even out our consumption. We cruise along side by side while doing this. I don't mean to start a debate as to whether it's a good idea or not, but I know that some recreational divers do it at times, and the long hose is what enables it to work comfortably. I like to think the long hose gives us flexibility in how we share our air. In a true out-of-air situation, yes, we would make a direct ascent to the surface, but with the long hose we could do it calmly and at a comfortable distance apart. This works fine so long as one's buddy is trained similarly; the flip side of the argument would be that for a panicky out-of-air diver who might otherwise act erratically, then maybe you would actually want that person gripping you tightly, as Akimbo points out above with the "death grip" comment.

If you won't be using the extra length, a long hose is just "extra hose" that you need to find a place to stow.

flots.

I disagree. The hogarthian routing is more comfortable and more streamlined than the 'standard' recreational routing. The longer hose also reduces push and pull on your mouthpiece because the much longer hose is more flexible. Air sharing in an emergency is a stressful scenario regardless of what dive environment you're in, and it is MUCH more comfortable with a long hose. Panicked OOA divers tend to grab the 2nd stage right out of your mouth; it's happened to me twice. It's very nice to have your alternate right under your jaw in that situation.

Regarding the 7ft vs 5 ft argument, I use both frequently and IMO the 5ft hose is much better for OW diving without a canister light. It doesn't 'float away' from your chest at all, in fact it's pretty snugly tucked in. I have heard that the 5ft miflex hoses are a little more 'floaty' but the standard rubber hose works great.

But the best thing to do is try a hose coupler as I suggested; then you can determine the perfect long hose length for yourself.

I use a 40" miflex hose under the arm with a 90° elbow (not swivel) and find it the most comfortable and streamlined (as in hose out of the way) configuration by far. I use 7' hose when required and always use the same 20" bungied backup regardless.

40 inches is enough for sharing in open water (std octo length). I tried 70° elbows and for me they put the hose at the wrong angle and try to twist the 2nd stage in your mouth. 90° means the hose comes vertically up your chest and when you turn your head there is no pull whatsoever on the hose.

I disagree. The hogarthian routing is more comfortable and more streamlined than the 'standard' recreational routing.

I share air maybe 30 times a week with rec students, and there has never been a time when I though, "wow, wouldn't it be great if this person was 2 or 3 feet out of my grasp?" Every now and then somone does something dumb, and being "right there" is the difference between a few seconds of confusion and someone getting hurt or killed.

While long hoses are good for their intended purpose (and I actually have one on my sidemount gear), I don't actually see any advantage for a rec diver, and a bunch of disadvantages.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom