Hose Clamp Not working

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBFG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I decided to buy some hose clamps to put on my SM tanks instead of cam band.
My problem is that the hose clamps are not holding on properly, the seem to slip.
I tried to tight the screw more but the clamp "skips" at that point. It seems that it doesn't want to go tighter although there is plenty of room left on the clamp to tight more.

Is this due to a defective clamp? if so can it be fixed or should I just buy new ones?

make sure they are actually on square, if they are cockeyed at all they'll move around. Also helps to put a piece of air hose over the actual screw mechanism which gives it something to grip onto as well

the sheaths like you linked tend to slip a bit. Try putting some electrical tape around the tank where the bands will go. It may give it something better to grab onto

So I took the clamp off the tank and try to screw it all the way. It definitely skip somewhere and jams. So it’s a bad clip.

Thanx for the above link!

I don't know what clamps you got but there are some cheap ones out there that strip easily. I prefer these and have never had one fail. 316 stainless is less likely to corrode.
Let me try the link again

McMaster-Carr

Word

I run a single clamp on al80's and a double one on my steel tanks. They are lower profile, cheaper and hold up better than cam bands

If the teeth on the worm drive screw are slipping you need a new clamp. You do have to be careful not to overtighten them on an all metal connection because once the teeth slip - the band side gets a bend and the teeth are increasingly likely to slip. Having something squishy under the band like a piece of hose over the clamp or thick cord for the tail snap provides a little give and makes it a little easier to get the worm clamps tight without stripping them.

Back
Top Bottom