Horribly out of Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my trimix students began diving at age 2 when his dad, a NAUI instructor, stuck a reg in his mouth. Now, he's the diving safety officer for a state aquarium.
I didn't start him at age 2, and I'm certainly not an instructor....although at some point I may go that route......but I let my son breathe for a few minutes a off my octo a couple times in the subdivision pool. He took to it a lot better than I expected he would and every time we go for his next SEAL team mission, he's the first one in the water and the last one to get out. My son loves animals, especially frogs, toads, fish, etc. So if I can help foster some diving skills in him early on, it could prove to be useful for him when it comes time to choose a career.

What a great thread! It's easy to forget when you are trying to obtain it but proficiency in diving is a means to an end, safely and responsibly enjoying the beauty of the under water world!

Hey I understand. The Buddha thing - one of those strange things PADI teaches. PADI should teach the fin pivot and then have students transition to inflate slightly more and be neutrally buoyant and horizontal in the water. And if it makes you feel better - I get up on that high horse on a regular basis. :)

It may not be a part of the curriculum but fin pivot was taught exactly like that when I took my OW course. I don't remember any mention of the Buddha thing other than having people who were unaware they were finning during descent cross their ankles to stop them from doing that.

I can't wait to have this experience with my son! He'll be 10 next year and I really want to get him certified at that point. I know some people sort of frown at that because they think kids aren't mature enough at that age. But he'll never be diving alone without either me, my wife, or his uncle right by his side. Sounds like I'm in for a treat once he starts diving with me!

I don't like feeling like a wet blanket. But, I have to comment on this. I hope you won't take your son diving (i.e. out in open water) until he is at a point where he does not need you, your wife, etc. by his side in order to be safe.

This is the same reason I have not pushed my g/f to learn to dive. In her case, I don't think she would ever get to the point where I would feel like she would be totally safe on her own. E.g. we dive together and then get separated for some reason. Or I have a medical issue. She just doesn't have the right mindset for dealing with challenges and solving problems on the fly. She's much more of the "Jesus take the wheel!" mindset.

I feel like anyone that you would only approve of them diving on the basis that you are there with them is someone that may not have sufficient skills or judgment to be diving at all (yet).

Of course it's a fine line. I'm not trying to suggest that nobody should be certified until they are ready for Solo.

Anyway, you probably meant the same thing I am saying and I apologize for sounding like a wet blanket. I just hope anybody diving with a loved one will always maintain the attitude that the person should have enough skills to be safe on their own (if they lose their buddy in the water). If it's only okay because you're there, you have to remind yourself that you MIGHT not always be able to "be there".

The best diver in the world is the one who is having the most fun.

Sure, you could say that. But, if that fun involves unknowingly kicking sand in other people's faces, ruining their fun, I'll have to disagree on the best diver part, regardless of how much fun they are having. :D

This is a great story, glad to see kids excel in diving. This is a sport that the legends riding off into the sunset, but to a large degree some of the treasure, sites, and explorations will be secrets kept and forgotten and to some degree that’s sad because I want to pickup where they left, and keep going but in the other hand it leaves wonderful things to go rediscover!

As a helpful hint in the future (when he’s not wearing floaty fins), it sounds like he’s head light normally which is not uncommon in a single cylinder, especially if a weight belt is involved. Adding trim weights to a high tank band is helpful. I have fins that are extremely negative and I add weight to cam band pockets in a single tanks and then I can control trim with the bend in my knees and arch in my back for small adjustments!!

Honestly, trim is a tool. If you can only dive in a horizontal position then you are fortunately stuck in a gear that can take you anywhere, but you are missing out on the joys of diving. Play is free and unreal as defined in philosophy. We make too many rules in diving which is another reason diving is defined as a sport. Diving used to be about looking at the underwater world. Now, it has become about looking at ourselves and others and judging performance. The best diver in the world is the one who is having the most fun. I think your son is learning that for himself. Nice!

Ok, but not everyone may realize that is coming from someone who always looks perfectly horizontal, perfectly skilled, and makes everything appear effortless. You spent a good part of your career training and honing your skills, but you have fun too. Being in control of your position allows you maintain any position you choose, whether it's horizontal or not. How much fun someone's having and being able to observe and appreciate the beauty around them as opposed to just "performing" are probably quite tied to the personality of the diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom