horrible lately

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MantaRey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Back after quite some time.

Anyone been out lately?

Isn't it funny how south florida is always thought to have perfect diving conditions year round? ...We just have the summers like everywhere else.

I'm thinking about making a trip to the springs.

I was out in the gulf Saturday, off of Boca Grande and you're right, it was horrible. Viz was so bad I could barely read my gauge. Another front is headed through late tonight so I don't see any improvement for this weekend either.

MantaRey:
Isn't it funny how south florida is always thought to have perfect diving conditions year round? ...We just have the summers like everywhere else.
It could be that it's a question of what you compare it to. I was out sunday for a beach dive north of Boston the morning after NOAA issued a gale warning and small craft advisory. Surface temp was 42 degrees, visibility was twice normal at 30', and most of the fish moved to deeper water for the winter. We thought it was a great dive!

Is it any wonder we believe Florida has good conditions year round? I mean, at least you don't have to stand in the snow while you put your drysuits on.

MSilvia:
It could be that it's a question of what you compare it to. I was out sunday for a beach dive north of Boston the morning after NOAA issued a gale warning and small craft advisory. Surface temp was 42 degrees, visibility was twice normal at 30', and most of the fish moved to deeper water for the winter. We thought it was a great dive!

Is it any wonder we believe Florida has good conditions year round? I mean, at least you don't have to stand in the snow while you put your drysuits on.

And... as a Northwest diver re-located to Nefl... Yup, this is the best time of th eyear in the NW and BC to go diving.

Excellent viz, no kelp.. nice cold water :D

When I recertified a few years ago, the water was warmer than the air.. and there was white junk coming out of the clouds.

Yes, I do miss it!

Where's the 80ft vis? I hear that up here in west palm it's starting to clear when you get close to the gulfstream. But as kramer said there's another front coming down tonight, by thursday noaa predicted 8-10... so divide that by two, it'll be 4-5. That should toss up some silt near the shore.

And I love cold water, while I was working in Ecuador the diving there was great; the humboldt current was awesome, kept the water clear and cold. But no snow of course. heh.

I was thinking abouit going out this Friday - but that is looking less and less desirable. Oh well, still have 48 hours to make a decision.

Today pretty calm seas 30ft clear green water in the upper keys, maybe we should start a sticky post about daily se fl dive conditions

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom