horizontal ascents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
Fist of all, it’s not “my study” it’s the only study. Either it works as an insulation gas of it doesn’t. The exact type of suit, exact type of underwear and the exact flavor of kool-aid does not matter as long as they are held constant for the two trials. This is what you don’t seem to understand: it would not matter if the suits were paper bags and the insulation cotton balls, if argon is better, it should be better under all circumstances. Perhaps a few publications and degrees in the esoteric field of Argon gas research might make you a bit less trigger happy when it comes to criticizing respected researchers with that most telling of all comments, "it's crap."

Since this is the only study that I know of and until there is contradictory evidence beyond “I think,” “I feel,” or “I guess,” we’ll just have to go with it till you wow us with your work.

Wow, 6 divers for 2 dives seems hardly the begining of a study?:no
It seems we could get a better blind test on our Beach dives tonight.

You may be right in the Idea that calling someones study crap is not the best way of expressing this.

BUT

12 dives utilizing 1 water temp is far from conclusive evidence.

Milo

FishTaco:
Are you sure the type of suit and type of insulation doesn't matter?

A primary source of insulation on the test divers was provided by the 6.5 mm neoprene drysuits.
On a shell type suit, such as worn by DIR divers, the suit itself provides no insulation. All insulation in a shell type suit is provided by gas trapped in the undergarment. When the gas is the only insulation, the difference between the properties of air and argon become noticeable. In the study you cite the neoprene suit compromises the validity of the data.

Chris
If the diver’s had not gotten cold I’d say that you were correct, the test was invalid. But they did get cold, and experimental and control groups got equally cold. Ipso facto, it no workie.

T-SHIRT LOGIC!!!

Thalassamania:
If the diver’s had not gotten cold I’d say that you were correct, the test was invalid. But they did get cold, and experimental and control groups got equally cold. Ipso facto, it no workie.

So let me get this straight, by your logic if two guys go out into a cold night one wearing a T-shirt the other not wearing a T-shirt then after one hour both guys get cold.
Your conclusion would be the guy with the T-shirt was no better insulated than the guy with no T-shirt simply because they both got cold.

Without a further study to see at what point each guy began losing heat the study shows nothing other than a one hour exposure is enough to effect both guys tempature.

Milo

Also to consider, if you have to decompress significant amount, wouldn't you do everything concievably possible to make sure you stayed nice and warm? Even if you "feel" cold, is it not possible that you are actually staying warmer for longer, even if only slightly?

Get post 200!

SkullDeformity:
Also to consider, if you have to decompress significant amount, wouldn't you do everything concievably possible to make sure you stayed nice and warm? Even if you "feel" cold, is it not possible that you are actually staying warmer for longer, even if only slightly?

Not if a probe up your butt monitoring your core temperature says otherwise...

ScubaMilo:
T-SHIRT LOGIC!!!

So let me get this straight, by your logic if two guys go out into a cold night one wearing a T-shirt the other not wearing a T-shirt then after one hour both guys get cold.
Your conclusion would be the guy with the T-shirt was no better insulated than the guy with no T-shirt simply because they both got cold.

Without a further study to see at what point each guy began losing heat the study shows nothing other than a one hour exposure is enough to effect both guys tempature.

Milo
Your example is fatuous in the extreme and bears no resemblance to the experiment being discussed, put down the kool-aid and read the paper.

SkullDeformity:

Get post 200!
Try 2% hydrogen in your breathing mix, brought out over a platinum wool catalyst in the intermediate pressure line. 130o F moist air to the core. But it’s not DIR!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom