Hopping my way to full cave...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trim looks good. What’s the justification for the band height?

Sometimes Ginnie taketh, and sometimes Ginnie giveth...

Was talking to Chris in the parking lot while we were both gearing up for our dives, as we both happened to be at Ginnie. I mentioned that Olsen will probably be my first dive post-full cave and he said he was comfortable extending my limits so I can make that traverse, so now my limits are extended to 1,500 feet max penetration, which I can only really reach in Peacock right now.

Anyways I went for my first independent dive with a jump. Went to Ginnie with a CCR diver I've dove with before, plan was Eye -> Bone line to thirds or 1,200 feet whichever happens first. Pretty uneventful dive going in. Surprising how the rooms back there just suck up your light. My buddy said it was because the walls are black. He tried to find the white room, but we couldn't see it from the mainline. Made it just past the 1,000 foot arrow, and turned on thirds where the jump to the far end of the mud tunnels is (not sure if that is part of Expressway or not) and I lead back.

On the way back Ginnie giveth, somewhere around the 700-800 foot mark I notice a backup light on the floor, I was thinking "Another cave diving feat accomplished 'Find something in the cave,'" a couple of feet past it I see a bolt snap, which explains why it was on the floor. It was one of the huge Light Monkey back ups, so I had to carry it all the way back. A small annoyance but I managed. Well we get back to the surface after a few minutes of deco. and I mentioned to by buddy that I found a light. He was like "Does it look like this?" Pulls out an identical LM backup light, turns out he lost it yesterday. And here I was looking forward to posting in Lost and Found. The funny part is that I used it to get his attention after I cleared my deco.

Ginnie was NUTS, I got in at 6:15am, and only got a parking spot near Devils due to another cave diver leaving as they had finished their dive. They got in at 4am. My buddy got in at around 7am and had to park across the street. When we left at around 10am, it took 15 minutes to get out of there. We leave Ginnie for Peacock, with a stop at Dive Outpost for fills. Peacock had opened up yesterday, and word was that the viz was about 30 feet. We get there, and the starting vis certainly was about 30 feet. But damn it sucked up the light, I never got more than an arms length away from the line, every time I deflected the line you see a phantom line of silt where the line was resting. But it was a success made it to Olsen, but seeing the duck weed I was like "Screw this" and just signaled let's go back. The trip back was worse. We get to the surface, with an audience, the first thing we said "I'm not doing that again." It was dark and scary, the one consolation was that since I was leading on the way in, if the blind great white cave shark from 47 meters down 2 showed up, I would be eaten last. And the attackers almost always get the guy in back first. :rofl3:

You can’t really see the white room for the bone line. When the bone line takes a hard left 90degrees you tie in a jump line. If you go ahead to about 11 o’clock you’ll get to the wonder tunnel which is one of my favorites. If instead you go to about 2-3 o’clock you’ll find the white room. I tried to find it 3 times and missed it due to bad directions. I was finally shown and it’s easy to find.

You can’t really see the white room for the bone line. When the bone line takes a hard left 90degrees you tie in a jump line. If you go ahead to about 11 o’clock you’ll get to the wonder tunnel which is one of my favorites. If instead you go to about 2-3 o’clock you’ll find the white room. I tried to find it 3 times and missed it due to bad directions. I was finally shown and it’s easy to find.

Are this direction in relation to before making the turn?

I'll send it to my friend.

it isn’t really a “jump” to another line. You need a reel with probabky at least 150’ on it. Last time I was there we tied in with a primary reel, and layed line to the room, and then wound it back on the way out.

it isn’t really a “jump” to another line. You need a reel with probabky at least 150’ on it. Last time I was there we tied in with a primary reel, and layed line to the room, and then wound it back on the way out.

yes those are generalized directions based on you tying in right where the hard 90degree left is. So go up bone line and stop right where it takes a hard left then tie in and go those directions.
And yes the white room isn’t lined so not really a jump. The wonder tunnel is a jump. When doing either I usually bring a small 200ft reel. I’ve done both with a spool but it’s a pain to line back in that far.

yes those are generalized directions based on you tying in right where the hard 90degree left is. So go up bone line and stop right where it takes a hard left then tie in and go those directions.
And yes the white room isn’t lined so not really a jump. The wonder tunnel is a jump. When doing either I usually bring a small 200ft reel. I’ve done both with a spool but it’s a pain to line back in that far.

Thanks, I've sent it to my friend. He is a CCR full cave, so he has been doing a lot of early morning dives in Ginnie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom