Hope it's Not true, Diver Missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Rumor has it a diver is missing out in the general direction of Chinaman's Hat.

38 y/o blonde man, Panne, Pone, Pan ? description and that he is missing on radio since about 1300.

"Pone"--French---what's the meaning of this, all I know is it's like one step down from Mayday or something?

From Wikipedia - Mayday

Pan-pan (from the French: panne - a breakdown) indicates an urgent situation of a lower order than a "grave and imminent threat requiring immediate assistance", such as a mechanical breakdown or a medical problem. The suffix medico used to be added by vessels in UK waters to indicate a medical problem (Pan-Pan medico, repeated three times), but has never applied in aviation.

I think mayday is reserved for more immediate dangers such as fire, explosion, or sinking.

oh, I couldn't understand it

but they said a diver was missing.

My friend heard it too.

Mayday Mayday Mayday means your boat is in grave and immediate danger that is life threatening.

Pan Pan Pan is to announce an emergency that is not life threatening.

Search on for snorkeler swept out to sea off Kaaawa[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana][SIZE=-2]Advertiser Staff [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Search crews aboard a Coast Guard HH-65 Dolphin helicopter, along with crews from the Honolulu police and fire departments, are still searching for a 38-year-old snorkeler who was reported overdue from an excursion Saturday night.
The man was reported to have left from Ka'a'awa Beach with two other snorkelers at 10 p.m. last night. When his friends saw him get swept out to sea they called authorities, who then contacted the Coast Guard.
Searches were focused along the beach seven miles south and two miles offshore of Kane'ohe Bay. The Coast Guard crews are from Air Station Barbers Point.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm not sure of the currents in that particular area, but there are places here where the currents are strong enough to sweep you out to sea quite easily.

In particular, there is one right outside of Haunama Bay titled very appropriately, The Molokai Express. If you get caught in it, doesn't take long before they find you halfway across the 40 mile channel to Molokai!

where is Kaaawa?

Back
Top Bottom