Hook Spanner Torque Cheater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
One of the frustrations about Scuba Tools hook spanners is the lack of a broach for a torque wrench. Yeah, you can hook your luggage scale in the hole in the end and do the math, but a torque wrench is faster.
Bruce's new Oceanic #5 has one, but he points out that it decreases the strength of the handle when torquing.
IMG_20210423_104903.jpg

So I made a cheater out of an unused socket.
I carefully cut a groove of exactly the width of the handle with a cutting wheel (see below).
IMG_20210423_104947.jpg

Now the cheater just slips over the handle at any point you like. If you're using a torque wrench in the standard position, this allows you to slide it in or out to an exact length to recompute torque based on the longer lever arm.
IMG_20210423_105038.jpg

IMG_20210423_105100.jpg

Or, since it's a cheater :wink:, you can cheat once again and use it at right angles.
Screenshot_20200602-092810_Samsung Notes.jpg

With a small enough angle, the extra lever arm length is within the margin of error of the tool, and you can just set it for what you want.
IMG_20210423_110256.jpg

I showed it to Bruce, and he seemed to like it. But just in case he doesn't start making it to sell any time soon, that's how I did it.

But don't be a knucklehead like I was and forget to cut the slot in line with the broach for the torque wrench. Makes it kinda hard to do the maths thing...
IMG_20210423_111353.jpg

Doh! :banghead:

Now, what tool do I need to cut through the hardened steel of a socket?

Abrasive discs from an angle grinder or possibly even a dremel will do the business. Also, jewelers bandsaw with diamond grit blades will work if you want really nice cuts.

I think I'd start with an angle grinder and clean it up with a belt sander since I don't have a jeweler's bandsaw.

Due to the low torque values required if you are cutting a broach in your hook wrench then a 1/4" broach would be plenty and use an adapter for your torque wrench. This would not weaken the wrench to any great extent.

Yeah, I just used a thin cutting disc on my Makita grinder.
IMG_20210423_133305.jpg

Then a thicker one to smooth out the bottom of the cuts.
I made my initial cuts about 1-2mm narrow, then ground the gap with a thicker wheel to "just enough". Figured that would be better than a sloppy fit (and having to cut a third socket!). A little filing on the very sharp edges of the socket, and you're done.

Just a quick shout-out and thank you: While I read most of your posts with the same mindset I devour articles on freediving under ice in Antarctica (am I intrigued? YES! Would I ever do it? …), I very much enjoy them (and generally learn something new). Plus, the Optimal Buoyancy Calculator has been helpful (although it tends to overweigh me slightly), and I have been using it with new divers to get a better understanding of all the factors involved (and you will be glad to hear, I also downloaded the manual…). Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom