Hoods necessary at Dutch / NJ Boat Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClassAction

Reaction score
Just looking for some advice from people who dive around here. I'm about to buy a 7mm wetsuit. I'm hoping to dive from May until October. A dry suit is a little out of the budget for the time being (I want to see how often I actually dive before dropping $1200 on a suit and all the fixings). I did my OW at dutch last year in mid-august. For the most part, I was really hot in a farmer john (rental) 7mm. Also, I hated feeling so constricted. I have a 3mm hyperstretch which is amazing. I'd like to buy a henderson hyperstretch 7mm, which should be much more comfy than the rental was ...

I just saw the henderson hyperstretch / gold core semi dry 7/5mm. It seems like it would be perfect. It will be less constricting than a farmer john, right? I like the fact that the arms/legs are hyperstretch and only 5mm. Also, it has gold core on your core, which should be a little warmer, right? It should require less weight to sink me than a 7mm farmer, right?

My main question is about the hood. I absolutely hated the rental hood, which was far from hyperstretch. I had planned on getting a suit w/o an attached hood and just using a hood when necessary. So I'm not too happy that the henderson semi-dry has a built in hood. But I also realize that I'll be diving a lot deeper than I did during my OW.... After making you read of all this (sorry!), the question is: is a hood an absolute must for diving deep at dutch or doing NJ boat dives? Do people do these dives without hoods? If I know that I'm always going to use a hood, it doesn't bother me so much that the semi comes with one attached...

Sorry for the long question. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Here is the short answer to your long question :eyebrow:

Yes, the Henderson gold core is a very warm fullsuit, and will probably allow you to drop at least 5lbs of lead if you were using a farmer john. Also, if you really like the full Hyperstretch 7mil, I'd say go for it. That's what I use and it's plenty warm for up here (and sooo comfy :wink: )

Yes, a hood is "absolutely" necessary! You will need it all summer at Dutch. You may be able to get away without it in August/September in the ocean. However, that depends on how warm a year we have, and how well you can take the cold.

I hate hoods also, and would highly recommend the Henderson 5/3 Hyperstretch hood. It does the job, and is by far the most comfortable one I've ever worn.

Scott

ScottyK:
question :eyebrow:

Yes, a hood is "absolutely" necessary! You will need it all summer at Dutch. You may be able to get away without it in August/September in the ocean. However, that depends on how warm a year we have, and how well you can take the cold.

As far as the ocean? Don't be fooled in August and September when you hear the Ocean Temp is 70F. That is just the surface temp (usually the top 15'). It will be considerably colder the deeper you go and hit those thermoclines.

wrekdiver2:
As far as the ocean? Don't be fooled in August and September when you hear the Ocean Temp is 70F. That is just the surface temp (usually the top 15'). It will be considerably colder the deeper you go and hit those thermoclines.

LOL- To Wrekdivers point, I should have said "certain dives" :wink:

On shore dives, and boat dives up to around 60' you may get away without one. If you're doing The Doria, you're gonna want that hood no matter what time of year it is!

*nod* My dives on the Stolt last august saw 48 on the wreck, 75 above the thermocline. unless you know for sure that the bottom temps will be in the mid to high 60s, I'll wear my hood. I may take it off, but I'll go in with it.

Now instead of wondering if you should wear the hood or not, perhaps it would be better to know what your issues with a hood are, so that perhaps there is a hood out there that will fit your needs.

I personally would never get a suit with an attached hood, as I go without my hood a lot as I have so much diving mixed between new england area and florida. I prefer not having a hood because I can hear better, but the hood also prevents my neck seal from leaking as much, so it's all a cost vs. benefits judgement on my part.

is a hood an absolute must for diving deep at dutch or doing NJ boat dives? Do people do these dives without hoods?

In about 20yrs of diving off Jersey, I remember one day when it was absolutely warm top to bottom in greater than 60ft. That was actually my 18th birthday and on the Delaware had the stream blow in over it and saw squirrel fish and sgt. majors on it and dam near top to bottom vis. I made my one and only anatural tank dive though considerably less than NDL for the first dive.
Other than that I loved my hooded parka, so my suggestion would be at least a hyperstretch hood.
One other point is the old without a hat trick can cost you something in the order of 25percent in heat loss, not something youd want for a serious dive.

I hate hoods too, I think they are the reason a lot of divers get seasick! I'm wearing a Henderson jumpsuit also and what works for me is a 2/3 hooded vest with a beanie, It's been warm enough for single 42 degree dives (my fingers got cold) and 49 degree multiable dive days in California's Channel Islands, don't ever belive that SoCal is warm!

Hey Class Action. If you didn't buy the Henderson you may also want to take a look at BARE. They have a very reasonably priced 7mm similar to the hyperstretch. I considered Henderson but opted for BARE when I bought my 3mm full suit. Two years later I am still very happy with it. I too am about to buy a 7mm. I looked at several during the show but I was disappointed with the display Henderson had at the Beneath the Sea show. BARE is just another option to consider and the way I will most likely go. Good luck with your decision.

I hate hoods too, but

I dive a 7mm Henderson Hyperstretch with a 7mm Goldcore hood
and...
A Dacor drysuit with a Bare zipper hood

they take a little getting ised to, but once you do the hood won't bother you. Also I agree the attached hood stinks. I tried that semidry suit and the hood choked me. Depending on how you turn your head the neck will actually bunch up and dig into you neck.

Also look around you can get a drysuit and undergarment for a lot less than $1200, from about $600 - $800 for a decent suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom