Hoods necessary at Dutch / NJ Boat Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again for the advice. Why would the attached hood be any worse than the separate hood?

I think I'm still going to hold off on the dry suit -- maybe at the end of the summer if I can get the budget committee's approval (i.e. my wife). Incidentally, I tell everyone to buy all the toys you could ever want BEFORE you get married...

I guess I need to try the semi on and compare. But despite the drawbacks from the hood, I'm still leaning toward it. I think it would be more comfy than a farmer john (especially since the arms/legs are only 5mm) and just as warm.

ClassAction:
Why would the attached hood be any worse than the separate hood?
I guess it's just the way they cut it. Or maybe not being attached the hood has a little more movement. All I know is I ripped that suit off in about a second, as soon as I got it on.
ClassAction:
Incidentally, I tell everyone to buy all the toys you could ever want BEFORE you get married
Yup that my plan!

ClassAction:
I guess I need to try the semi on and compare. But despite the drawbacks from the hood, I'm still leaning toward it. I think it would be more comfy than a farmer john (especially since the arms/legs are only 5mm) and just as warm.
Maybe, but why not just a full 7mm? I've heard the semi dry really isn't that much warmer, yet it's almost $100 more even at LP.

The main difference between a "semi dry" and a regular wetsuit are the seals at the wrists, ankles, and back zipper. You can get these suits with or without an attached hood. Seaquest makes a nice one, and the clingy fit of a Hyperstretch suit does the same thing as the seals.

For really cold water you can put a hooded vest beneath the suit, but I'm fine down into the 40's with a "good quality" fullsuit and seperate hood.

ClassAction..

The short answer to your question is YES. You need a hood for NJ diving.. the water is cold on the bottom here year round.. You lose a lot of body heat through your head..

It is important that the hood fit properly.. try on a number of sizes and styles until you find one you find one that fits comfortable.

Henderson is excellent.. If you haven't bought your a suit yet.. check out Pinnacle.. or consider a dry suit.. you can get a good quality dry suit (new or used) for way less than $1200.. If you are going to dive NJ.. a dry suit will keep you warmer.. increase your bottom times.. decrease fatigue.. and increase the length of your season.

I dive a DUI dry suit (bought used 10 years ago) with an attached hood... Love it.. keeps my hair out of the way.. protects my neck seal & keeps me warm and comformable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom