Hoods,Hoods,Hoods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hockeynut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Every hood I try on seems to be awfully small in the face. How do you get your mask on without some hood under the skirt. Can you cut out the opening? It's been many moons since I dove cold water. I don't remember what the hood was like in the 80's

Hockeynut:
Every hood I try on seems to be awfully small in the face. How do you get your mask on without some hood under the skirt. Can you cut out the opening? It's been many moons since I dove cold water. I don't remember what the hood was like in the 80's

My hoods all have bare neo around the face opening. I trimmed a little around the bottom of the opening, and that's it. Mask goes on, and I pull out the thin hood neo from the inside of the mask skirt, so mask is against my face, then let the hood sort of overlap on top of the mask.

Some like exposed skin. Not me (and I dive in not-so-cold So Cal!) I have essentially no face skin unovered.

K

Most of the face openings on the hoods I've seen can be trimmed. Most of the divers I know have to pull out hoods out from under our masks after we put them on.

MD

Thanks guys, I think I'll try it out in the mirror and maybe trim a little.

Mo2vation, how does the term "severe wind chills" affect you. Winter weather reports came to mind when you said "no face skin uncovered". :11:

Hockeynut:

Someone showed me a trick last night: Put on mask _then_ put on hood. Mask strap and skirt is under the hood. The reason was so I would not loose my mask if hammered in the surf but for once I didn't have to pull hood out from under mask skirt either.

Downside was that slight leakage around mask strap made my head a little colder but with water in lows 50's it was ok.

I did get rolled in surf but kept mask even after multiple rapid revolutions.

I found it easiest to don the hood, place the mask on your face in the position that you'll be wearing it (the mask skirt will probably overlap on the hood face edges), take a piece of chalk and trace the edge of the mask skirt that overlaps on the hood. Take off your hood, and you have an easy to follow line to trim.

I just run a finger around the inside of the hood after I put the hood on or have your buddy check it and fix it before the dive.

Hockeynut:
Thanks guys, I think I'll try it out in the mirror and maybe trim a little.

Mo2vation, how does the term "severe wind chills" affect you. Winter weather reports came to mind when you said "no face skin uncovered". :11:

I'm a So Cal weenie. Not a fan of the face numb.

K

Its not too hard to get the skirt under the hood, just run a finger all around the edge of the hood seal and it'll pull up and clamp down over the skirt of the mask. I can even do this with 5mm gloves on, failing that get a buddy to do it.

I did trim my old hood but the tiny bit of exposed skin between the mask skirt and neoprene made me cold. Used to get "Ice Cream" headaches.

Ditto what Scottri and String said. Just run a finger around the edges. Inhale thru your nose and see if you have a tight seal. Brain freeze is supposed to happen when you eat ice cream, not diving.

Back
Top Bottom