Hoods for Large Necks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm struggling on finding a hood that fits my head and neck at the same time. Most size large fit my head perfectly but I have a 18 1/2" neck and most are tight or get tight and constrict my neck while diving. If I go larger, the hood is to loose on my head and defeats the purpose and are still to tight in the neck. Any suggestions? is there a way to stretch out the neck on hoods?

Wet suit hood or dry suit hood?

One possibility could be to custom fit a hood that fits your head by cutting slits in the neck and adding neoprene.

Have one instructor who wears a very long braid. She uses a zippered hood that is closed behind the zipper. She just never zips it up.

Wetsuit Hood. I'll have to try the cut and extending method. Lord knows I have enough hoods laying around now to choke a horse. You also mentioned a custom hood. Any suggestions where to go for that?

check out drysuit hoods, lots of them have a zipper in the back of the neck. I dive with a Dive Rite hood and just leave it unzipped most of the time. Works well. Only difference in the hoods are whether they have a skirt or not, and I don't really like skirts...

A PSA here---------be careful with LTG(or NTG), google it if you don't know what I'm talking about...

EDIT:......OR, PM if you don't get any good searches going.....

Wetsuit Hood. I'll have to try the cut and extending method. Lord knows I have enough hoods laying around now to choke a horse. You also mentioned a custom hood. Any suggestions where to go for that?

The joy of text and not speech. What I meant was you are going to have to "custom fit" a hood that already fits your head, but not your neck.

Last edited:
I had/have the same problem. Some of the hoods that fit my neck were then TOO big for my head (and I have a big melon). I found that the Aqua lock hoods were the solution for me. They are pricey but I was able to find new ones on the "bay" for less than full retail. I have both a 3mm and 7mm. Look for a hood made of the super stretchy neoprene because they will be more comfortable. Good luck, Mike

I have a broad neck and large head, and have a nearly new neotek wetsuit that I'm never putting on again in part because of the combination of too tight around the neck and too small on my head. I was ready to swear off hoods. The pinnacle merino-lined hood (in xl I think) was a lifesaver for me. Super comfortable.

If you have a thick neck but a smaller melon than I have, you might try either stretching out the neck on a tank, or wearing one of those little bonnet hoods under the hood...you know, the ones that strap under your chin and really don't even reach the neck.

Last edited:
Have you taken a look at the heat zippered hood by White's? I have a buddy who is a competitive powerlifter(19/20" neck at least) and this is the hood that he uses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom