Hooded Vests? Best? Worst? Best buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searched for a current thread on this, but didn't find one. I'm Looking into a hooded vest in the 5mm range and there are a number of contenders. Scubapro, Pinnacle, Henderson, Bare all have an offering. Any preferences out there?
Been using scuba pro hooded vest with their 3mm wetsuit during the winter months in the Middle East, just as good as a 5mm set and can easily go well over an hour in the water. I do prefer the vest under the wetsuit though. I find the extra tightness helps restrict water entering the suit. But I have a buddy who is the opposite way around so that bit you will have to try for yourself

Aqualung Aquaflex 5mm vest is very nice. Premium soft, stretchy neoprene so it doesn't restrict motion and feels comfortable. I like to wear over suit but it works the same underneath (depends how tight suit is).

The whole reflective thing is highly questionable. Are any manufacturers still pushing that gimmick? If there is any benefit it is miniscule. Body heat is far and away lost through conduction not radiance.

I added a Fourth Element hooded vest under my 7mm when diving at my local aquarium. Was often shivering cold in the 57°F water after 50-60min, but with the vest, pretty comfortable. I wear it under my suit.

Back
Top Bottom