Hooded Vest under or over fullsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fl-diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
All of my diving is in south east Florida. I dove all year last year with a 3/2 surfing-style fullsuit. There was a few days that got pretty chilly in January and Feb.
I was thinking about getting a hooded vest to keep a little warmer.
Questions is should I get a vest sized to go over or under my fullsuit?
Does it matter?
Thanks for any input.

Over.it won't fit under your fullsuit,unless the fullsuit was to big to begin with.:)

Most divers I know who use a hooded vest wear them underneath the full suit.

I'm kind of tall and skinny so my wetsuit isn't exactly bursting at the seems so I was leaning toward under.
I might look weird when I show up at the LDS with a fullsuit on to try on vests.

I have two 3mm hooded vests, one with a 3mm hood and one with a 5. I wear them under either my 3mm one peice or 5/6/7 as needed. One of the vests actualy has a smooth skin around the neck, which seals well with the neck of my one peices.

Guess I didn't consider 3mm suits,we only use 7mm or drysuits overhere.:D

You will retain better heat if you don your hooded vest under your full wetsuit. Remember that water movement is one of the key eliminators of body heat. With a 3mm hooded vest your body should have a really nice snug fit; this will keep water movement to a minimal.

Than as you don your full suit you are adding that extra layer of insulation to batter against the compression issue at depth.

I have donned my hooded vest both under and over my full suit with the best results clearly resulting me to dive it under my suit.

Best of luck...

MG

I wear mine under a wesuit & over skins when I wear skins only(in warmer water)......here's a good one to think about for just 'cooler' water---click link......EVO EVO Unisex 2mm Hooded Vest

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom