Hooded Vest under or over fullsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear mine under. I've found that the hood and the neck of the vest help to form a kind of seal that the wetsuit itself doesn't have, so I get much less water movement through the neck opening of the suit.

For over 20 years, I always wore the hooded vest under the suit. however a few years ago I tried the hooded vest over the outside. It looks dorky, but I found the difference to be considerable. Definitely warmer. Often the internal neck seal on a wetsuit has smooth rubber and this seals well against the skin and with the hood over the outside the seal is preserved.

My outside wearing experience pertains ONLY to one-piece back zip suits. These suits tend to leak around the back zipper, at least you can feel the leakage more than when wearing a 2 piece suit with FJ pants.

I wear mine under a wesuit & over skins when I wear skins only(in warmer water)......here's a good one to think about for just 'cooler' water---click link......EVO EVO Unisex 2mm Hooded Vest

That vest is exactly the one I was looking at. I will be getting one next time I'm at Divers Direct.

Thanks for all of the input.

That vest is exactly the one I was looking at. I will be getting one next time I'm at Divers Direct.

Thanks for all of the input.

You'll really enjoy it I think...I've had mine almost exactly 2 years, is very affordable & EVO makes pretty good stuff---maybe not the best but has a lifetime warranty(no trouble what so ever so far, probably have 100 dives in it)......One of the good things about a hooded vest is IF it is too much for that dive, simply pull the hood off while diving & you're in good shape.....I use it as my 'hood' in 70 to 72 degree water worn under a 3 mm wetsuit---absolutely perfect IMO and this sounds like the lower water temps you're trying to 'fight' ie cool but not cold....

Back
Top Bottom