Hooded Vest + Rash Guard + Board Shorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phantom76

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

Planning to dive in the warmer waters of south east asia, i.e. Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia.

My day job has me sitting in equipment rooms of below 20 degrees celcius. I am really not comfortable in the heat.

Thinking of diving with just a rash guard and board shorts in the day. With a added hooded vest for the colder days and night.

What are you opinion on such a setup?

Was looking at the Akona, Bare and Henderson hooded vest, anyone has used these before? Which is a better buy?

Cheerio,
PAUL

Phantom, I think it's a question of what kind/ how much diving you'll be doing and personal tolerance to cold.

If you'll be doing just 1 or 2 dives a day, for 35-40 minutes only, you'll probably be fine. But if you'll be passing considerable time in the water (3-4-5- dives a day, each 50-60 minutes), you will almost surely get cold in that setup. Don't forget, even if you like the cool environments, you body temperature is 37ºC whereas the water will be maybe 27-29ºC?? This means, you will automatically be loosing body temperature, and much faster than in your warehouse (water conducts heat 25 times faster). You'll feel it and at best be very uncomfortable, at worst could get hypothermia (not cool!:shakehead:).

My advice would be instead of buying a rashguard, save the money and buy yourself a full 3mm suit (I love my Bare velocity 3/2mm). It will be money wisely spent, especially for such a beautifull trip as the one you are planning.

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom