Hooded vest question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just purchased a XS scuba Hooded vest and I am going to dive it this weekend, I was just wondering how much weight I should add to compensate for the vest. The vest is 6mm hood/4mm torso/3mm face seal. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Phil

I will guess.

2-3#s

maybe three if it is big. hmmm pretty thick.

My Bare chicken vest which is 3mm torso and 5mm hood is 3-1/2 pounds positive. With your heavier torso I'd go for 5, maybe 6 pounds. It will be worth it.

As a second data point the Bare 7mm hooded step-in vest is 11-1/2 pounds positive.

My info is from mesh bag testing, not anectotal.

Pete

...wow. My 3 mm is very compressed I think.

Thanks for the input.... I guess all I can do is just give it a shot and see....

Thanks
Phil

skdvr:
Thanks for the input.... I guess all I can do is just give it a shot and see....

Thanks
Phil

If you have a mesh bag and a body of water like a pool or barrel you can test it using some of your own weights. Make sure to release all of the air. No need to guess. A little info goes a long way when you start to juggle gear.

catherine96821:
...wow. My 3 mm is very compressed I think.

Also a posibility. My chicken vest rarely goes past 40 feet.

Spectrum,
Thanks again for the info, I was actually just getting on here to ask that very question. I am heading to my parents lake house and I was just going to walk down to the water and in about waist deep water lay the vest down and start to add a little weight until it started to sink. I think that I will do that...

Thanks again.
Phil

Maybe add a pound or two for the air they trap around your neck once you get it sinking. I have a number of hoods & hooded vests and they all trap just a wee bit of air, even with vents. Maybe it's just my thinner neck. Also, every time you clear make sure you didn't inflate the hood portion. I have a titanium lined hood that loves to do this when I clear (it's now part of my 'backup' gear).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom