Hooded Vest Fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socaljohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i purchaseda hooded vest and was not smart enough to pay attention to the neck fit and hood till I got it home,as I was making sure it fit well around the core. It seems loose in the neck and the hood seems to have some room in the top (I buzz my hair)

Went back to the shop and put it on again and asked the LDS owner and was told that you want the neck a little loose so it does not gag you, and besides how is water going to get in there. My experience with my bibbed hood agrees, the only way I get water down there is if I purposely pull the chin out. For the hood I was told that the it should not be much of problem, the air will vent out through the holes and it should snug up against the ole noggin. It has holes in the top and a inner flap covering the holes that is vented to the inside.

I will appreciate advise from any of you who wear a hooded vest.

I would return it and get a smaller one, if the smaller one is too tight, you can stretch it out, or just let it stretch out itself over time.

While I agree a bit that the loose neck is not that big of a deal, I don't agree that the room in the hood is no big deal. My old hood was a bit loose, and on cold water dives if I put my head down a bit, the exhaust from my reg would flow into the hood opening the hood up a bit and letting in a rush of cold water.

My new hood was tight to the point that it hurt my jaw, so I put some towels in it overnight in strategic positions to stretch it out where it needed to be stretched and it fits perfectly now.

I like my hooded vest snug on the neck (not tight and constricting, but snug to my neck) and same with my head. I would not want any space between the neoprene and me. Sounds like, from your description, what you have is not a good fit.

I have a Henderson 3/5 with a vent up on the top of the head. The vent is awesome!

The next does not want to have compression so that is probably OK

The top idealy has no space but my biggest concern would be to make sure the face seal pulls in nice. A looes face seal will catch air and make any hood, regardless of venting a nightmare. Often air won't vent on it's own you may need to some gyrations to manipulate the bubble.

Also note that cut varies a lot between brands. In the same size it was #3 for me that was the charm.

Pete

Last edited:
Neoprene that is too tight can be a problem. But loose is not a good thing either. Could the shop be more interested in the sale than inthe customer's needs?

Every manufacture seems to have their own patterns for their suits and vests. Hood size is usually in proportion to the size of the vest itself. NEVER, EVER buy a vest that does not fit in the body. In spite of what nimoh says, vests will not stretch. As you decend in the water suits and vests will compress. A too tight vest will interfear with your breathing. I've been there and it is not fun. You may have to try another brand, or put up with a little slack in the hood.

Every manufacture seems to have their own patterns for their suits and vests. Hood size is usually in proportion to the size of the vest itself. NEVER, EVER buy a vest that does not fit in the body. In spite of what nimoh says, vests will not stretch. As you decend in the water suits and vests will compress. A too tight vest will interfear with your breathing. I've been there and it is not fun. You may have to try another brand, or put up with a little slack in the hood.

I have successfully stretched two hoods, but have never attempted to stretch a vest. Why can't a vest be stretched?

Could the shop be more interested in the sale than inthe customer's needs?
Small LDS where the owner is only employee, she has taken good care of me for a couple yrs now, so I don't think that is the case. I do understand the concern though and appreciate the comment. Also I am pretty sure that if it does not work out she will make it right, I was hoping to have her advise confirmed so I would not worry about in the 2 weeks till I get wet again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom