hood vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darkmoon3d

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dive in midwest and current setup is 7mm fullsuit with 2mm hood/vest and lavacore hood. Works great until water temp gets below 60. Am looking into options for thicker hood/vest. Would it be best to get a lavacore long sleeve with hood attached along with thicker hood or simply get hood/vest? Another option would be to use existing lavacore hood and get a lavacore long sleeve and separate hood.

Have looked at following:

7/4 Seahood Flex (LDS has this available)

Amazon.com: Lavacore Men's Long-Sleeve Shirt - for Scuba , Snorkeling, and Water Sports: Sports & Outdoors (LDS has this available)

Amazon.com: NeoSport Wetsuits Men's XSPAN 5/3mm Hooded Vest,Black,Small: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Henderson Man 7/5mm Thermoprene Hooded Vest Scuba Diving Wetsuit: Sports & Outdoors

I have just experimented using a hooded long sleeve lavacore under my Henderson 7mm jumpsuit.
I also used a regular 5mm hood over the lavacore hood. It was quite comfortable up in Tobermory for the dive I used this weekend on a shallower dive to 40 feet.

I use the Bare 7mm hooded step-in vest over a 7mm fullsuit (Bare Arctic) . It's the next best thing to a drysuit.

Pete

Dive in midwest and current setup is 7mm fullsuit with 2mm hood/vest and lavacore hood. Works great until water temp gets below 60. Am looking into options for thicker hood/vest. Would it be best to get a lavacore long sleeve with hood attached along with thicker hood or simply get hood/vest? Another option would be to use existing lavacore hood and get a lavacore long sleeve and separate hood.

Have looked at following:

7/4 Seahood Flex (LDS has this available)

Amazon.com: Lavacore Men's Long-Sleeve Shirt - for Scuba , Snorkeling, and Water Sports: Sports & Outdoors (LDS has this available)

Amazon.com: NeoSport Wetsuits Men's XSPAN 5/3mm Hooded Vest,Black,Small: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Henderson Man 7/5mm Thermoprene Hooded Vest Scuba Diving Wetsuit: Sports & Outdoors

For me personally, I do not like hooded vests because they restrict my neck movement. I can tell you from first hand experience that the lava core hooded vest is really stiff! I could barely move my head at all! I currently dive with a lavacore vest (no hood) as a little something extra for my core. A short sleeve would also be good because it keeps the armpits warm. I surf so I didn't really want to restrict my arm movement with the short sleeve.

Lavacores work very well. I have many friends back home in California that love them! The only thing is they fit a size small. Im tall and I have big shoulders so I usually wear XL t-shirts. I had to get an XXL lavacore for myself. I would go into a dive shop and try some on to make sure it is a good fit. Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom