Hood trimming, do you or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid

私は寿司およびアジア女性を食べるã
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I read somewhere while looking to buy my 5 mil hood, that it was designed for easy trimming and it looks like I may need to trim mine. Any suggestions?

dlndavid:
I read somewhere while looking to buy my 5 mil hood, that it was designed for easy trimming and it looks like I may need to trim mine. Any suggestions?

Trimming 'round yo face, or trimming the cowl so it tucks into your wetsuit / dryuit easier?

---
Ken

oops, around the face. There is a slight overlapping of the mask skirt.
I can pull it away and over the mask skirt, but thought trimming might be the answer.
If so I would chalk the overlap and trim back from there.

dlndavid:
oops, around the face. There is a slight overlapping of the mask skirt.
I can pull it away and over the mask skirt, but thought trimming might be the answer.
If so I would chalk the overlap and trim back from there.

The only place I trim my hood is the bottom lip, and just a sliver on the side. Much more on the bottom, as I don't want to have the reg out of my grill, inhale and have the hood sort of flap over my mouth. Not good for breathing.

I run my finger along the inside of the hood so it sort of rests against the mask sides and top. It also rests against the mouthpiece at the bottom - covering my chin and just to the top of my lower lip.

I like my hood to do the whole vaccu-pack face thing. YMMV.

---
Ken

Thanks Ken, I will try it out this Saturday without trimming.

dlndavid:

I've had to trim the face seal on both of mine. If I didn't it pushed down on the top of my mask and made for a nasty situation. If it works as is then leave it alone.

Here is how I've done it.....
1. Don the hood (hooded vest in my case) and get it as it will be worn.
2. Put your mask on and get it just right.
3. Use a silver sharpie marker and dot the hood right at the edge of the mask skirt.
4. Remove the mask and hood.
5. Trim the hood but keep about 3/8" beyond the markings so it will still overlap your mask skirt. If you have heavy tie stitches at the top seam be sure that one remains for strength.
6. Rubbing alcohol will remove the remaining sharpie marks.

Done this way I can put my mask on and it's pretty easy to pop the hood face seal onto the mask skirt even with 5mm gloves. For the sake of practice I set my mask after donning my gloves.

Pete

one suggestion (which maybe takes care of the need to trim) is to wear the
mask UNDER the hood

put the hood on, then pull it back over your head enough to allow you to put your
mask on.

then pull the hood back up, and it will be over the skirt, where it won't interefere
with it

I get a bubble in the top of my hood when I exhale. I'm thinking about putting a hole in the top to let the excess air out.

H2Andy:
one suggestion (which maybe takes care of the need to trim) is to wear the
mask UNDER the hood

put the hood on, then pull it back over your head enough to allow you to put your
mask on.

then pull the hood back up, and it will be over the skirt, where it won't interefere
with it

I tried one time to wear my mask over the hood and it leaked all over the place. I wear it under and dont have to mess with adjusting it when im not wearing a hood. I still had to trim my hood/vest quite a bit tho.

jiveturkey:
I get a bubble in the top of my hood when I exhale. I'm thinking about putting a hole in the top to let the excess air out.

Pierce the hood or get a vented hood. Alien head is never a good look.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom