Hood for a massive melon...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PolsVoice

Reaction score
Hey, I'm going to be doing my AOW checkout in pretty cold water and am going to need a hood.

the problem is this.

I have a truly massive melon, "it's like an orange on a toothpick". I literally have to special order my hats from Stetson (I wear a size 8). To date I haven't found a hood that will stretch over Mr. Sputnik and still let me breathe (although I found one, but it wouldn't let me move my neck!), does anyone know of any hoods that tend to run big and could possibly fit this almost-hyrdocephalic cranium of mine?

- PV

No experience with it, but I hear Henderson Hyperstretch hoods are good. Emphasis on "hyperstretch"

PolsVoice:
Hey, I'm going to be doing my AOW checkout in pretty cold water and am going to need a hood.

the problem is this.

I have a truly massive melon, "it's like an orange on a toothpick". I literally have to special order my hats from Stetson (I wear a size 8). To date I haven't found a hood that will stretch over Mr. Sputnik and still let me breathe (although I found one, but it wouldn't let me move my neck!), does anyone know of any hoods that tend to run big and could possibly fit this almost-hyrdocephalic cranium of mine?

- PV

Some of the No Cal guys use these people for their custom hoods:

http://otterbaysuits.com/wetsuits.cfm

These folks make a 10mm hood, as well as all manner of custom designs. I recommend giving them a call or dropping them a note. Maybe they can cover your virtual planetoid.

K

Holy crap...a 10 and 12 mil hood...that's some thick stuff.

Big-t-2538:
Holy crap...a 10 and 12 mil hood...that's some thick stuff.

Speak up, man. I can't hear you thru the friggen' neoprene wall that is my hood. What, it must compress to a measley 8 or 9mm at depth... that would be positively chilly.

:D

K

"Dog Suits

"Our custom dog suits are popular with duck hunters and cold water snorkel dogs... The suit is in the form of a body length vest covering the chest and belly, leaving the rear end open for nature's calls. A zipper down the back provides an easy dressing. "

Too funny!

cornfed:
"Dog Suits

"Our custom dog suits are popular with duck hunters and cold water snorkel dogs...

I don't think my dog would like the idea of wearing a snorkel and mask.

gfisher4792:
I don't think my dog would like the idea of wearing a snorkel and mask.
You might be able to find a mask for a Pug (or one of those other breeds that looked like it was hit in the face with a shovel) but I doubt most dogs could find a good sealing mask!

...seeing Benji in a full drysuit with attached neck ring and a clear helmet one time on TV. Surface supplied air and the whole deal, little wrist seals on all four feet and the works. Don't recall him having a snorkle with him tho....

I wondered where he was going to do his checkout dives, and how well he did on the written test.

I always figured that Benji was a lot smarter than my kids.... that proves it!

cornfed:
You might be able to find a mask for a Pug (or one of those other breeds that looked like it was hit in the face with a shovel) but I doubt most dogs could find a good sealing mask!

No snorkle.

Scuba Dog, the movie.

K

Back
Top Bottom