Hood for a fat-nek?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am having problems finding a hood that doesn't restrict my tree trunk of a neck. Perhaps my problem stems from the need hold my mondo melon upright. Most XL hoods fit my head well.

I have a DeepSee 1.5mm XL that works well, and combined it with a 3mm cap. This works well most of the time, but I have been diving in 52 F water lately. I could benefit from a full 5 or 7mm.

Any ideas or custom hood makers out there?

:06:

hehehehehehehe, I'm sorry but the whole fat-neck thing really cracked me up :)

I second the Henderson Hyperstretch, it just keeps giving and giving..... :eyebrow:

Good Luck

hehehehehehehe :11ztongue

Check with Liquid Fit in Florida. Not sure if they make custom hoods or not. Next best thing to a custom hood would be a Henderson Hyperstretch. I have two of them and they are fantastic (1 w/bib for wetsuit, and 1 w/o bib for drysuit.)

My hood from White's (a drysuit company) is custom and it's WONDERFUL! There are different thicknesses and layers of neoprene - the thickest over the ears. Keeps me nice and warm.

Paula

Thanks for the replies. I have tried the Henderson Hyperstretch. It stretches fine, but still restricts.

I see a custom in the future.

Go with the Henderson hyperstretch. Go somewhere and try one on. I would be interested in what you think. Mine is like wearing none compared to my DUI or 7 mil. Wetsuits.

As they say in Hong Kong 'read the directions'. Sorry, just noted you did try the Henderson. You might add or have your dive shop 'add' a strip of neoprene to your hood. I did that some time ago and it worked fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom