Honoring the Dive Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
Do you have any source for your no divers info? I am aware of no laws that dictate where people can dive other than for security reasons.

Yeah, this particular source is the Synopsis of West Virginia Boating Rules and Laws. I have seen other states with similar rules and laws. It is under the provision of Chapter Twenty of the Code of West Virginia.

Do you have a link for this? I have questions....

No, but if you don't believe me you can go to the WVDNR website and request a free copy to be mailed to you.

Just to be clear, I am a USCG Master and a OWSI, what you say makes sense but I know of no laws that dictate where you can dive excluding security and safety. It's very hard to make laws about stupid. Im sure there are some out there but I do not know of them.

Wildcard:
Just to be clear, I am a USCG Master and a OWSI, what you say makes sense but I know of no laws that dictate where you can dive excluding security and safety. It's very hard to make laws about stupid. Im sure there are some out there but I do not know of them.

You do now. What is stupid about staying out of harms way?

Well then that would exclude just about everything I do as well as a lot of what most do. One of my favorite nudi dives is a major harbor entrance. I know to stay on the bottom which is where what Im looking for,is!
Point being we all need some common sense...Just wish is was common

Another thought is that there seems to be a hierarchy on the water, regardless of what the laws are here in Hawaii. Just like the informal power of the surf line-ups, paddling is rooted deeply in Hawaiian culture. They take these races very seriously and while they will not try to hit divers, I really doubt they will lengthen the point from A to B by going very far around a dive area. I am not saying it is right or wrong, but when you trying to keep yourself safe on the water, the prevailing attitudes do play a role. I'm pretty sure they will think it is our job to stay out of their way.

DSC_0164-1.jpg

:shakehead I know this has been beaten to death but I wanted you to know about the cat that ties off in front of Firehouse.

We were at the cathedrals, within 50 feet of my towed flag, and the cat was stopped on top of us. It was a flat day and they had to see our bubbles. I was watching the boat while Crab Lover was taking photos.

Then, they started their motors and motored off.

This was really surprising since they bring snorkelers over there every weekend that I'm there.

I did not get their numbers so I can't report them.

:shakehead....so not right...I'm glad you two are ok.

cats/cigar boats do the same thing right on top of the pipe at electric beach..

in fact.. one cat did a high speed wide-arcing turn from the end of the pipe over to the shark caves.. and we were in transit between the two points in only 25fsw.. talk about scary :11:

these areas should be designated SLOW NO WAKE ZONES.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom