Honoring the Dive Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh..interesting

coolers full of beer
well, yea, I had no idea about that big blue and white No Alcohol sign there at Sharks Cove. People drink beer there all the time...
my friend from Cali showed me the sign when I was done talking to the DLNR guy.

MeiLing:
Silly law! Like a snorkes is all that visible! And it really is a moot point if even the Coast Guard licensed commercial operations don't honor it!

Like someone said on another thread a while back, "What's that flag thingee over there? Here hold my beer while I motor over there to check it out!":shakehead
Hey... I don't make up the law. I just read it:
A "diver's flag" as defined by rule and measuring not less than twelve inches by twelve inches shall be required to be displayed on the surface of the water by any person or group of persons engaged in free diving or SCUBA diving.

Section 13-245-9(a) Hawaii Administrative Rules.

Perhaps I'm defining it too rigidly, but it seems the intent is for it to be displayed only when *underwater* activities are present, not surface-based ones. Incidentally, displaying a flag when underwater activities are not occurring is also illegal (e.g., anchoring your flag and leaving it in the water between dives).

KrisB:
Incidentally, displaying a flag when underwater activities are not occurring is also illegal (e.g., anchoring your flag and leaving it in the water between dives).

Well, I guess were just a huge bunch of law breakers 'cause we do that all the time!:D

KrisB:
Perhaps I'm defining it too rigidly, but it seems the intent is for it to be displayed only when *underwater* activities are present, not surface-based ones. Incidentally, displaying a flag when underwater activities are not occurring is also illegal (e.g., anchoring your flag and leaving it in the water between dives).

An older version of the Hawaii fishing regs used the wording "all persons swimming underwater".

Back
Top Bottom