Honoring the Dive Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

me:
but without enforcement it's just an empty threat

catherine96821:
well, have you heard of anyone fined, even on the blatant motorboat cases? Because I don't know that I have heard of one in seven years. I know they get reprorted because a lot of the boat captains tattle on each to the Coast Guard pretty often but I don't hear of any tickets being given for that particular offense.

pretty much what I said, just more words :)

Yeah, like Doug, I've had boats pass immediately overhead when I'm in 20' of water at Ulua, with the float right there.

I haven't had any "poppers" once we're out that deep, so sometime there or before, I anchor the flag.

Do note -- boats are allowed to approach a dive flag, but they must both be approaching it to dive (read: snorkel or scuba) AND at a speed of "slow-no-wake".

KrisB:
Do note -- boats are allowed to approach a dive flag, but they must both be approaching it to dive (read: snorkel or scuba) AND at a speed of "slow-no-wake".
You are the first person to mention that Kris. MANY people believe it to be off limits, even many DM's......I will approach a boat at mooring flying a flag if I see someone topside IF I feel a need to talk to someone, and I'm in the act of diving. I've tied off to more than one charter boat.....:wink:

So, is the thinking that if you motor slow enough the divers can see your prop approach and avoid you? I'm pretty nervous approaching a dive boat, the way those popcorn divers ascend all over the place.

My point is that waiting for the Coast Guard to enforce something is not how I approach my own safety. I think you are better off to keep a SMB directly over your own head and realize that paddlers are not likely to get a behavior altering ticket. (they might, I just don't think it is probable)

I notice divers on the Hawaii Kai side use SMB's way more than Waikiki divers, where there is more boat traffic, which is sort of backwards if you think about how it needs to be. The commercial boats in those areas should push the markers more, if you ask me. It just is not very effective to try and change the behavior of a lot of ever-changing, unknown random boaters, when you can just change your own and blow a marker.

Along with the fact that most laws state that a boat may not come within 100' of a diver down flag, it is important to remember that in most places, the law also states that divers can not dive in areas that are meant for heavier motor traffic. Such as those used for boat "navigation" and other similar activites where the diver down flag may obstruct boat traffic. These areas usually include navagtion lanes, narrow channels, tight turns or bends where visibility is obstructed, boat ramps, marina areas, and some fishing piers and swimming areas.

Use a camcorder or something. If this is a serious issue, I think I'll stay in california and decide to not go to Hawaii in August....:11:

Its no big lost of course because grandpa is going back to Hawaii where he used to live and I'm just going there to go dive, go get some old magazine, go into the decompression chamber, go out and start the cycle all over again. And drive everybody crazy on the boat once I get heavily narked. :D

But in truth, I'm gonna go diving everyday while there and don't go into the mountains.

Jimbo, Catherine,

I'm just repeating the Hawaii dive flag law... :)

(f) All vessels shall be prohibited from approaching within one hundred feet of a displayed diver's flag or within fifty feet of a displayed diver's flag on navigable streams, except within marked navigation channels. Vessels approaching a displayed diver's flag to conduct SCUBA, snorkeling, or free diving activities within the one hundred foot or fifty foot restricted area shall be allowed to do so provided that the vessel approaches at a speed of slow-no-wake.

The principle is that if the boat is moving slow, both the diver should be able to see the boat soon enough to avoid popping up underneath it, AND if you're on the surface, the boat should have enough time to kill the engines or steer to avoid the diver.

WVDiver:
Along with the fact that most laws state that a boat may not come within 100' of a diver down flag, it is important to remember that in most places, the law also states that divers can not dive in areas that are meant for heavier motor traffic. Such as those used for boat "navigation" and other similar activites where the diver down flag may obstruct boat traffic. These areas usually include navagtion lanes, narrow channels, tight turns or bends where visibility is obstructed, boat ramps, marina areas, and some fishing piers and swimming areas.
Do you have any source for your no divers info? I am aware of no laws that dictate where people can dive other than for security reasons.

Wildcard:
Do you have any source for your no divers info? I am aware of no laws that dictate where people can dive other than for security reasons.
Yup. :)

(d) No person shall engage in free diving or SCUBA diving, or display a diver's flag, in a manner that shall unreasonably or unnecessarily interfere with vessels or with free and proper navigation of the waterways of the State.

(e) Except in cases of emergencies, free diving, swimming, or SCUBA diving within navigation channels shall be prohibited.

From the Hawaii Dive Flag law: http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dbor/rules/amendment13240_13256.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom