Honolulu dive ops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archer1960

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to be in Honolulu in the next few weeks for work, but expect to have at least one day off, and would like to get a dive trip in. Any recommendations for good 1-day 2- or 3-tank boat trips? I'm AOW, Nitrox and Rescue diver (PADI) certified, and have 54 dives. I'm mainly a "reef/pretty fish" diver who likes to take pictures. Don't mind going relatively deep (did Devil's Throat in Sep) if there's something cool to see, but deep for deep's sake doesn't interest me.

Suggestions for ops to contact?

I spent on/off about four months in Hawaii in 2014 and 15 for work. I mostly dove with Kaimana Divers. They will pick you up from any hotel in Waikiki and take you to the boat. Their morning dive is usually a 2 tanker with a deeper wreck first, followed by a reef, and the afternoon dives are two shallow reefs. Mostly off the South Shore/Honolulu though they do occasionally organize West Side trips and the North Shore in the summer (great sites there, but in winter the surf makes diving impossible)

They run a six pack boat which is nice. Unfortunately they do not provide Nitrox. Seems to be a pretty common thing in Hawaii. If Nitrox is a must I'd go Honolulu Scuba Company. I seem to recall them occasionally running 3 tank charters on some weekend days as well.

+1 for Kaimana or Honolulu Scuba Club

I ended up going with Oahu Divers, and was impresssed. They were very professional and accomodating. They picked me up at my hotel and dropped us off about 10 ft from the boat. The boat and rental equipment were in excellent condition (looked almost new) and it all worked flawlessly. We did 2 dives, one on the Sea Tiger wreck, and one on Horseshoe Reef. This is the only boat I've been on where they made a formal roll call after they thought everyone was on board (and they were). The boat captain also gave his USCG-required pre-underway briefing, in addition to a pre-dive briefing by the DMs.

Conditions were ok, but not great. Water temp was mid-70s, and visibility was probably 30' or a little less at the surface, maybe 50' at the bottom.

Kaimana Divers, was there Jan this year , Gabe and the crew were great

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom