Honokohau Harbor dive site name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacalifornia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm visiting Kona this week and took my second boat trip today - we dove at High Rock, and also immediately outside the mouth of Honokohau Harbor. The crew said the dive site was named "Naia" or "Naya", but I can't seem to find a reference to that name anywhere in my searches. Can anyone please ID this site for me....maybe correct my spelling....or perhaps it's called something else and I had too much water in my ears.

Thanks!
Kevin

Ive always called it "the harbor dive". Never heard another name for it. BTW I hate paying for a boat dive only to have them take me someplace that can be dove from shore, esp 100 yards from the harbor.

If it is the site I am thinking of, it is also called Turtle Heaven, and Turtle Pinnacle, depending on the dive operator.

"Naia" is Hawaiian for dolphin. The "Naia Bay" site is also known as Manta ray bay, eagle ray bay, crescent beach, and probably another name or two depending on who the operator is.

Turtle Heaven and Turtle Pinnacle (aka turtle pie and terrapin station) are across the boat channel from Naia Bay.

do the tiger sharks still hang out around the south side of the harbor entrance? They were there last year.

There are always "sightings" in the harbor but when the shark guys did a study of some sort a couple of years ago, they found none. I quite certan they do go into the harbor from time to time thou.

I haven't heard of them yet this season. This has been about the time of year for them the last several years. The DLNR sent out letters last summer to charters (fishing, diving, all commercial permitted boats) informing them of the troubles with throwing fish carcasses out in the harbor. This year we haven't had a ton of them (illegally tossed carcasses) inside to draw the tigers in. There easily could have been some I haven't heard of yet, but it's not common sighting them like it got last summer.

There was one out by the green buoy a few months back that apparently a couple boats dropped divers and snorkelers right on top of. I wasn't out that day.

Thanks much for the replies. Yeah, it seemed a little funny diving right outside the harbor where the dive boat is docked, though it seems to be a nice site. I definitely could see shore diving here though - looks like a nice easy entry. Back in the water tomorrow morning for my final two dives before heading back home to murky So. Cal. I'm coming back again next summer - can't get enough of this place.
Kevin

My guess is that there was a south swell. Most dive operators do a good job at trying to pick the best sites for the sea conditions of the day. About a week and a half ago, we had a south swell. Places like the south side of Honokohau are perfect even if the south swell gets huge. Just a guess. Even though it seems strange to do that site from a boat, I bet they were just trying to find a nice calm spot. (And it sure is a great dive. I've seen mantas, eagle rays, tons of eels, frog fish, tiger shark, etc at this site.) Oh, and yes, the tiger has been spotted within the last two weeks in that area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom