honeymoon in Papua New Guinea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

starfish.it

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
we just booked our honeymoon in PNG over xmas-new year!! I am so excited already, even more than for the wedding itself (and i'm the bride:wink:)!! we'll be staying in Kavieng at the Lissenung resort first and then in Walindi. I've read some info on other posts already but wolud love to have some personal advice from people who've been there, especially on stuff that will be essential to have once there, type of wetsuit, clothes etc... also is there some book about Papua that you would suggest reading before the trip? thank you in advance.

Bring lots of mosquito repellent as i know 3 people that contracted malaria in png. We also took malaria pills. You will love the diving. Go to the hot mud pools from walindi. If you can, go to Loloata island resort. Congrats! Have fun!

thank you! we are also planning on taking malaria pills before we go.

Lissenung resort is a great place to get away from everything and the diving in Kavieng is without doubt some of the world's best. Dietmar and his staff know the dive sites better than anyone and they will ensure you have a great time. Have fun, PNG is an amazing place.

we just booked our honeymoon in PNG over xmas-new year!! I am so excited already, even more than for the wedding itself (and i'm the bride:wink:)!! we'll be staying in Kavieng at the Lissenung resort first and then in Walindi. I've read some info on other posts already but wolud love to have some personal advice from people who've been there, especially on stuff that will be essential to have once there, type of wetsuit, clothes etc... also is there some book about Papua that you would suggest reading before the trip? thank you in advance.

Hi Congratulations and I hope the wedding and honeymoon don't dissapoint.

I have had 4 trips to PNG, 2 to Kavieng, I have dived with another operator though.
Still the water temp 28C =84 F so if you can stand this cold water haha a 3mm or dive in t shirt and shorts, Take all your requred medicines as although there is a chemist oops drug store in Kavieng it is not top of the range stuff.
Light loose clothes that cover arms and legs for the evening, take some malaria pills and bug repellants, sea sick pills etc.
Have a look at www.lonelyplanet.com/papua-new-guinea/weather got some info here.

Kaviengs shops are very basic , they have a chemist oops drug store (Not to the standard you would be used to), ice cream parlour, a golf club , a few variety shops, clothes electronics etc , again some products in these shops date back to ww2, I kid you not. The population are very poor and if you venture to a club in town they are again not what you would be used to, but still an eye opener, they are there for the tourist 99 % not the locals. a local pizza parlour had just commenced in 2012 (not that good at that stage may have imnproved).

There is an open air fruit ,vegetable and produce markets in Kavieng, not big but you can get a look see at what is grown and sold.

Clothing in PNG generally by tourists is shorts, light loose tops , nothing too revealing, hat and suncream is a must , keep hydrated as well.

BTW have a mud crab or lobster or two or three for me they are quite large and delicious when cooked on a bbq.

Hope all goes well for your trip.

Cheers
Graham

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom