Question Plans to honeymoon in Curacao and restaurant suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba41girl

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just planning to book our honeymoon at Sunscape resort and then I read the reviews on food and now I'm having second thoughts. I also looked at Lion's Dive and read the same reviews. We were looking at all-inclusive packages and we both would be upset with mediocre food as we are both foodies. That being said, does anyone have suggestions for a good honeymoon resort? We would like a good house reef as we will do more shore diving than boat diving. I also read that some of the house reefs get a lot of wind and chop. How bad is it for a new diver? I am an experienced diver, but my fiance will be newly certified on our trip. I would prefer easy for him until he gets his fins wet. If we end up at a non-inclusive, I would love some restaurant suggestions because I would like to research and know what prices are. We are open to anywhere that has GOOD FOOD. This will also help us make the decision whether to rent a car or not. Thank you in advance. I appreciate any advice!

My wife and I want to go to Curacao next year for our 25th anniversary. We're watching this thread!

I would stay with the Sunscape. When we were researching the Sunscape (haven't been yet), someone on TripAdvisor that had been there several times and said they have a new food manager this year and the food is greatly improved. It also very close to town and you can walk to Mambo Beach Blvd, so you wouldn't need a car. It has restaurants, bars, and shops. HOME | Mambobeach

The other choice would be Sandals, but their resorts are really expensive and it isn't close to anything.

I would stay with the Sunscape. When we were researching the Sunscape (haven't been yet), someone on TripAdvisor that had been there several times and said they have a new food manager this year and the food is greatly improved. It also very close to town and you can walk to Mambo Beach Blvd, so you wouldn't need a car. It has restaurants, bars, and shops. HOME | Mambobeach

The other choice would be Sandals, but their resorts are really expensive and it isn't close to anything.
Thank you for the info. The reviews I saw were for August and September of this year so I'm still a bit nervous. Hopefully a few others will chime in.

A great honeymoon resort would probably be Baoase just down the road from Sunscape. I've heard the food is amazing too but it is a high end resort and is reflected in the prices.

I would recommend renting a car as taxi prices here are pretty high and one ride in a taxi is going to be more or less the price of a budget entry level rental car. Also the restaurants that you would want to eat at will be spread around.

With regards to diving it really depends on what month of the year you are looking at coming. September and October are generally low wind months but the rest of the year we get nice trade winds that keep the temps comfortable but also make the ocean a little choppy. If you're shore diving it's not normally in issue though.

Restaurant suggestions. Kome, The Wine Cellar, De Visserij, Pop's place, Rozendaals, Sol foods. The list is endless and it also depends on if you want more rustic local places like Plaza Beiu, Purunchies or Pop's place. There are new places opening up all the time with great reviews.

Happy planning.

Look at a VRBO, it shocking how much house you can rent for a fraction of a resort room, rent a car/pickup arrange an air package through Dive Bus, explore food spots avoid pizza :wink:

Look at a VRBO, it shocking how much house you can rent for a fraction of a resort room, rent a car/pickup arrange an air package through Dive Bus, explore food spots avoid pizza :wink:

This^^^ We spent months researching our first trip years ago and the home rental was the way to go. I’ve been 5 times since and never even think about hotels. Part of the charm in curaçao is driving to a new place for food and/or dives not just staying at one resort.

If you are foodies, the Sunscape is not going to be for you. A new food manager is not likely going to improve the food preparation and quality enough to satisfy your food preferences. If The Sunscape could ramp up its food quality and preparation enough to satisfy a foodie, the cost to stay there would have to be much higher than it is. The resort itself is delightful, but not if top quality meals is a must have.

So here is thd economics of it. Sunscape is $330 a night 2nd week if Dec for 2 people. How much $$ is it for you to eat at a foodie quality restaurant for Breakfast, lunch and dinner with drinks plus lodging?

I have stayed at some hotels downtown that charge $25 a head for breakfast. A good diner out is easy $100 with limited drinks. Beer run $4 a bottle.... The price point does not support anything other than OK quality.

Back
Top Bottom