Honest question for you dive masters instructors out there

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I honestly prefer DMs not to mess with my gear. I'd prefer not fiddling with my gear, and especially I don't want my bc and regs changed over between dives. But I'm never a douche about it. I have a trick that works well. As I gear up and am readying for the dive I take 3 big deep breaths off of both regs while monitoring my spg. If I'm on a boat where I think the DM is going to mess with gear I make sure he sees me do it. DMs typcially appreciate that I'm an aware diver that checks myself and let me do the dive. But if I get one that checks my air I don't complain, I just breathe my reg again before I jump in to make sure they didn't screw up.

I'm gonna get me those PADI mini-C Cards and hang'em all on my BC like Christmas tree ornaments.
And just to set the mood you could be humming the melody to John Prines " Flag Decal" whilst doing so. !!

I would be jazzed if someone ever gave a damn about the qualifications of the boat or crew. Air tests, CO monitor, vessel certificates, crew qualifications, etc. I probably spend over 10 grand a year to maintain that stuff and no one gives 2 craps. My competitors don't spend a tenth of what I do because they aren't inspected and they get away with charging more than I do. Ask away, I say.

Note to self: WHEN (not IF) I finally get down to dive off Frank's boat, ask LOTS of questions and ask to see EVERYTHING (even though I'd trust him, his boat, and crew fully anyway)! :eyebrow::wink:

I think you're pole vaulting over mouse droppings.

That's fabulous, Rick! That joins, "Decompression is measuring with a micrometer, marking with chalk and cutting with an axe" on my list of great Rick Murchison quotes that I intend to use regularly.

I can't believe what a big deal the OP has turned this into. Two separate threads all about the same thing. You said asking the DM for his c card was tongue in cheek but yet, you started a whole new thread for it titled "Honest question for you DMs". And the whole passive aggressive thing is crap IMO. You (anyone that's passive aggressive) sit there and stool about it and get pissed off about it then walk off the boat without leaving a tip. If that's the way "communicate" then fine but I think it's a cop out. If you have a problem you should be able to man up and have a polite conversation after the first dive and come to a mutual understanding with the DM before the second dive. If you still can't come to an agreement then don't dive with that op anymore. Like it has been mentioned, DM's are required to do what they do by their EMPLOYER or they loose their job. Hardly a reason to stiff the guy that worked just as hard for you whether you like the boats policies or not.

After reading this thread, the OP isn't the only one turning this into a big deal.

After reading this thread, the OP isn't the only one turning this into a big deal.

actually I am not turning it into anything, I am totally surprised that this thread won't die. I would kill it as the OP if i knew how. I went home and am diving happily. I can accept that in FL they think that they have to babysit while on the western half of the world we expect you to do what your c-card says you are trained to do, to include buddy checks and your own personal check. I also never said that i would not accept an air check from a DM just a DM that I felt uncomfortable with.

But I will not accept that just becasue i was on your boat i owe you a tip. I owe you the fee that it took to get on the boat and anything more is a thank you and in most circumstances I say thank you monetarily

I've had people mess with my gear totally needlessly three dives out of the total of 40 I've done so far. And while I sure didn't like it, I spied what they did and then changed it back silently. (That's right, you don't have to be very experienced to not like people tampering with your ****.)

I can accept that in FL they think that they have to babysit while on the western half of the world we expect you to do what your c-card says you are trained to do, to include buddy checks and your own personal check. I also never said that i would not accept an air check from a DM just a DM that I felt uncomfortable with.

Unfortunately that is how it is here in FL where most of our divers are once a year vacation divers. I believe in your theory that all divers should be able to take care of themselves and do all the proper buddy checks and so on but it simply isnt the case, especially in a vacation destination.

You wouldnt believe how many divers cant even set up their own gear, or bungee themselves to the boat by putting their regs on over the bungee cord and tank, or get all geared up and ready to go but never turned on their air. Or how no mater how many times i say in a brief to take your fins off on the line and then approach the ladder they still want to grab the ladder to take fins off and get swung around with the waves and hurt. Or how many times we tell them to keep mask and reg on till on the boat yet they take them off as soon as surfacing and suck down water and start coughing and choking up when a wave hits them. Its because of all this that we basically get in the mindset of we must babysit you until you prove otherwise mentality.

You obviously dive often and dont fall into this group but most who come here do.

I worked as a marine biologist and underwater videographer for an eco-cruise ship in Belize and Honduras. We had certified instructors to lead the divers while I filmed them and the critters we saw. Corporate (based in NYC) hired an instructor to take over when my shift was through, but I had to train her. It was obvious from day one that this "instructor" had little clue about diving much less operating a camera while doing so. She wasn't able to replace the mask strap on her personal dive mask she brought with her and had me do it. She put her BCD on at a 90 degree angle. She had little to no buoyancy control underwater and on one drift dive she actually followed us from the surface because she couldn't ascend.

I contacted corporate and told them she might create a situation where the passengers were unsafe. They didn't listen to me. The captain of the ship became wise as he watched me work with her, and he contacted corporate. Fortunately they listened to him. It turned out she somehow had received an instructor's card, but it had been voided by PADI for some reason. She left the ship at the next port.

I have seen some DMs and even instructors who had no clue on certain common issues. I've had instructors turn my air off before I did my giant stride. Most of course do a good job, but since it is MY life we are talking about, I will do a double check on my own gear. Of course I have made mistakes myself, but not with someone else's life.

Back
Top Bottom