Homemade Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireInMyBones

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am thinking about trying to make a real basic wing for training dives in the pool.

I am good with a sewing machine and think I could do it. I would probably use my own Oxycheq or my buddy's Dive Rite wing as a pattern.

Possible products:
  1. Thick shower curtain for bladder
  2. Water resistant fabric (maybe cordura if I can find it cheap)
  3. Spare wing parts from online
  4. Aquaseal for seams

Anyone ever tried this? Anyone with suggestions?

# 3 sounds good; just use a replacement bladder.

What about using waterbed or pool liner to make the bladder?

I wonder how much it would cost to get a "replacement" bladder from a wing manufacturer and then just build around it. At least then you could be assured that it holds air.

I work with pools. I may be able to get part of an old liner. Hmmm.

Thick shower curtain for bladder

048W902631130001

Search for recent threads about this,someone made a very slick wing from a 13" auto inner tube.Simple,and durable.
PORBEAGLE

I like the inner tube idea. However, if you go with trying to seal it. Aquaseal could get a little pricey. I might try the 3m Marine Sealant 5200. This cures white, but it is some good stuff!

A dive buddy & I made a two man plywood wing with handles that you could tow behind the boat. It worked great as long as we both held on tight. If one guy let go it would spin you around.

I am thinking about trying to make a real basic wing for training dives in the pool.

I am good with a sewing machine and think I could do it. I would probably use my own Oxycheq or my buddy's Dive Rite wing as a pattern.

Possible products:
  1. Thick shower curtain for bladder
  2. Water resistant fabric (maybe cordura if I can find it cheap)
  3. Spare wing parts from online
  4. Aquaseal for seams

Anyone ever tried this? Anyone with suggestions?

Hi Jeremy,

On the flip side..

Are you teaching through a shop? The owners may not be too appreciative :wink:

Without knocking your sewing and construction abilities, considering the time and materials you are going to put into it, wouldn't you be better off getting a used wing?

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom