Homemade Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I fabricate a number of things I use for diving: knife sheaths, weight belts, rubber straps for the knife sheath, mask straps, snorkel holders and even fin straps. I make my own light lanyards using monofilament that I cook and coil around a spindle in my wife's oven, I fabricate my own speargun bands and I have also sewn and glued the exterior of a BC and also repaired small holes in the bladder with aquaseal. My regulator mouthpiece is held onto my second stage with wire rather than a zip tie, and I lost a screw to the second stage of my regulator a year ago and it is now secured with steel wire because I had no replacement screw handy. I replace o-rings in tank valves from a generic kit my buddy gave me 12 years ago and have no clue if the O-rings are supposed to be compatible with scuba diving applications.

I recently made my own backplate from scrap platic pipe; I used to have so much aquaseal on the outside of my BC and all over the knees of my wetsuit, that I used to tell customers that I was actually "an offical test diver for aquaseal", I think many people actually contemplated the idea before I would crack a big smile...

I have patched, cut, added to and removed significant portions of wetsuits to make them work, using various glues and also hand sewing. I make my own catch bags, fish stringers, lead weights (sometimes), ankle weights with lead shot and bicycle inner tubes, dry bags for the boat and other stuff I probably can't think of. I sometimes take apart my regulators, try to clean and lubricate them and even replace parts sometimes, even though I have zero formal training in it and no dedicated tools for the job.

However, I would NOT try to make my own bladder. They are made by ultrasonically welding, not by adhesives (as far as I know), this is just not something I would personally mess with.

I fabricate a number of things I use for diving: knife sheaths, weight belts, rubber straps for the knife sheath, mask straps, snorkel holders and even fin straps. I make my own light lanyards using monofilament that I cook and coil around a spindle in my wife's oven, I fabricate my own speargun bands and I have also sewn and glued the exterior of a BC and also repaired small holes in the bladder with aquaseal. My regulator mouthpiece is held onto my second stage with wire rather than a zip tie, and I lost a screw to the second stage of my regulator a year ago and it is now secured with steel wire because I had no replacement screw handy. I replace o-rings in tank valves from a generic kit my buddy gave me 12 years ago and have no clue if the O-rings are supposed to be compatible with scuba diving applications.

I recently made my own backplate from scrap platic pipe; I used to have so much aquaseal on the outside of my BC and all over the knees of my wetsuit, that I used to tell customers that I was actually "an offical test diver for aquaseal", I think many people actually contemplated the idea before I would crack a big smile...

I have patched, cut, added to and removed significant portions of wetsuits to make them work, using various glues and also hand sewing. I make my own catch bags, fish stringers, lead weights (sometimes), ankle weights with lead shot and bicycle inner tubes, dry bags for the boat and other stuff I probably can't think of. I sometimes take apart my regulators, try to clean and lubricate them and even replace parts sometimes, even though I have zero formal training in it and no dedicated tools for the job.

However, I would NOT try to make my own bladder. They are made by ultrasonically welding, not by adhesives (as far as I know), this is just not something I would personally mess with.

:shocked2:

You must also have a pizza stained t-shirt :D

Over the course of this last week, I have done extensive research on the topic. It will only be about $70 more expensive to buy a new one from an online store. The parts would be too expensive. Plus, I would be concerned with the difficulty of making a quality bladder. I read a post by Tobin that the process is too extensive.

Thank you all for your help. I do help with a shop and they said they can help me with cost.

wouldn't you be better off getting a used wing?

Where do you find used wings? I find used jacket BCs all the time, but I've been looking for a cheap wing and it seems like people tend to hang onto them.

I made my own Danish pastry once, and came to the conclusion that there are simply some things that should be left for professionals :)

Without knocking your sewing and construction abilities, considering the time and materials you are going to put into it, wouldn't you be better off getting a used wing?

Chris, For many of it's not about saving money or time, it's the process. For me, I just love the process of doing, learning, experimenting and seeing if I can build it better or different.

A wing is not much of a challenge technically but yet remains on my list of proposed projects. :wink:

I know a guy that used to make his own deodorant.

I noticed you did not refer to him as a "friend." :D

Wings I get at BW3.
Drumsticks I do myself on the grill.

Note to those who dropped into this thread by accident, this is the DIY forum.

c

Back
Top Bottom