Homemade underwater housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tvtech-diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
tested in pool so far, and will be heading to blue springs on thursday, hopefully if this trop storm doesnt screw up our plan.

let me know what you think or anything that i could do different on the next one

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 567
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 450
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 357
  • Slide4.JPG
    Slide4.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 448
  • Slide5.JPG
    Slide5.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 359
  • Slide6.JPG
    Slide6.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 382
Whats the buoyancy like on it, is it heavy enough to offset the water it displaces?

I have never done underwater photography or filming, but it doesnt look like there are any buttons that would push buttons on the camera inside, is starting the camera recording prior to entry normal?

I am by no means an expert but what about mounting the glass on the opposite side? Right now you have the plexi being held in by glue for the inward pressure that is going to be exerted as you go down in depth. I would think you would want it on the opposite side with the hard plastic stopping it from moving in further as it tries to compress with depth.

How do you take the pictures, I don't see any buttons.

How did you mount the handles/latches? It looks like you used screws but only put them part of the way into the PVC , is that strong enough?

I thought about building a camera case, may still it would be a fun project but for now I just purchased one for a trip I just went on.

*edit* good call on the buoyancy question, that is a lot of air inside the case and I imagine it will float like crazy.

the case is 5 lbs positive- i put 1lb in each handle and have a weight to go under the camera.

so in that case it is weighted very nice.

too the second point look at the picture i have accompanied for more info on the glass. but the 1/2 in acrylic is pressed between the coupler and the 3/8 diam of the pipe

the handles are put on with 3/8 in socket screws and there plenty strong enough for what im doing, the handle on the top is for carrying and the handles on the sides are for the water because as we all know everything in the water weighs almost nothing.

Whats the buoyancy like on it, is it heavy enough to offset the water it displaces?

I have never done underwater photography or filming, but it doesnt look like there are any buttons that would push buttons on the camera inside, is starting the camera recording prior to entry normal?

I am by no means an expert but what about mounting the glass on the opposite side? Right now you have the plexi being held in by glue for the inward pressure that is going to be exerted as you go down in depth. I would think you would want it on the opposite side with the hard plastic stopping it from moving in further as it tries to compress with depth.

How do you take the pictures, I don't see any buttons.

How did you mount the handles/latches? It looks like you used screws but only put them part of the way into the PVC , is that strong enough?

I thought about building a camera case, may still it would be a fun project but for now I just purchased one for a trip I just went on.

*edit* good call on the buoyancy question, that is a lot of air inside the case and I imagine it will float like crazy.

Attachments

• FQZD5L8WODEPA8KXM1_002.jpg
    FQZD5L8WODEPA8KXM1_002.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 969
the case is 5 lbs positive- i put 1lb in each handle and have a weight to go under the camera.

so in that case it is weighted very nice.

too the second point look at the picture i have accompanied for more info on the glass. but the 1/2 in acrylic is pressed between the coupler and the 3/8 diam of the pipe

sorry for not answering the button question, im in the process of putting together the buttons and other things needed, but for now i will not be diving for more than an hour, and the tape runs for 90min and i have a 4 hr battery so im good there but i am in the process and drawing up the buttons

That looks pretty good. The Physics book in the background makes it look like you a genius too!!!

TVTECH-- it looks good and should work well for what it is. I made one similar to that (from a previous discussion on this board). It works well and so far has never leaked. To make it simple, I did not have any buttons and went the same route as you--long tape and lots of battery time. The only thing is that you will need to learn your editing tool to cut out the parts of your tape that you don't want--the time on the boat when you turned on your camera, but aren't in the water yet, getting out of the water, and all parts in between when you don't have that ideal shot. I have not yet made a version number 2 but it will have buttons. Good job and good luck!

TVTECH-- it looks good and should work well for what it is. I made one similar to that (from a previous discussion on this board). It works well and so far has never leaked. To make it simple, I did not have any buttons and went the same route as you--long tape and lots of battery time. The only thing is that you will need to learn your editing tool to cut out the parts of your tape that you don't want--the time on the boat when you turned on your camera, but aren't in the water yet, getting out of the water, and all parts in between when you don't have that ideal shot. I have not yet made a version number 2 but it will have buttons. Good job and good luck!

yea i have 5+ years experience with professional cameras and editing. so editing is no problem for me and thats why im not so worried about just hitting the record button that way i have no doubt of what i got cause i got everything.

thanks for the comments and im drawing up the next design as we speak

Back
Top Bottom